Thursday, August 30, 2007

Christian Wolff: WERGO 60063



- For Piano I (1952)
- For Pianist (1959)
- Burdocks (1970/71)

A rare LP from 1971, featuring 3 compositions by the youngest composer of the New York School, Christian Wolff, documenting different stages from nearly 20 years in his work.


The virtuosic chance composition "For Piano I" provides an interesting contrast to the cue-controlled open form piece "For Pianist", and the outstanding "Burdocks" with its added
improvisational possibilities is a MEISTERWERK of its genre. It can be performed by any number and any kind of players, be it trained classical, traditional, electronic, rock, jazz, professional or non-professional musicians. To the listener it either sounds like universal music or music from another planet. Or both.



Musicians are: David Tudor, Frederic Rzewski, David Behrman, Gordon Mumma, John Nash, and Christian Wolff. Included are texts on the pieces, written by Wolff, as well as excerpts from the "Burdocks" score.
Coming on Monday: something rare from Japan. 

(1)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the 1971 version of Burdocks. Looking forward to hearing that lineup performing Burdocks. I have a version of Burdocks released by John Zorn's label if you and/or anyone else is interested. It would be interesting to compare the two versions. The lineup for the version I have has some renowned musicians as well.

    This has Fred Frith - guitar, Joan Jeanrenaud - cello, Miya Masaoka - koto, electronics, Gordon Mumma - french horn, trumpet, Bob Ostertag - sampler, William Winant - percussion, Christian Wolff - melodica, piano

    This release also includes Tuba Song and Trio III.

    http://sharebee.com/feb20801

    ReplyDelete
  2. never took the time to post any comment around here, but i do want to apologize, coz' the work you've been doing here is simply fantastic. thanx for wolff, thanx for feldmann - one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Paracelsus, and thanks for the other "Burdocks". I know it already, but hopefully someone else will wanna hear it, too. Comparing the 2 recordings will be rewarding.

    And thank you for the nice comment, Asaokaruriko. I am a notoric non-commenter, too, and look where it got me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanx for sharing, never knew abt this record. a nice lil' gem really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thx for all tge choonz - much better thanj most blogz - ee eye eee eye owen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any possibility that this could be re-posted? I know that I have come to the party late but I have just recently started to listen to the wonderful music of Christian Wolff (particularly the Preludes, which I think are great), and I would love to hear this album. Thanks. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read your comment a few days ago.

    New links:

    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MCVKUDS0

    or

    http://www.badongo.com/file/17830706

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. all alt links are dead, please re-up...

    ReplyDelete