Monday, November 5, 2007

Glass Orchestra Toronto

Here's an interesting one which I recorded back in the 80s from several radio broadcasts.

The Glass Orchestra Toronto, founded in 1977, is the only ensemble in the world whose musicians create and perform entirely with glass instruments. Drawing on a wide range of musical influences and performance techniques, the musicians explore the unique sonic properties of glass, creating an ethereal, percussive soundscape with a vast array of glass instruments, both "found" and custom designed. The skill of the members in designing and making glass instruments has earned them a place in the New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments.

The Glass Orchestra has performed in major cities across Canada and has toured the U.S., Europe and the Far East, playing mostly at art galleries and museums. The group also holds specially arranged workshops.

Instruments include tubes, bottles, wine glasses, glass bells and Pyrex bowls, a specially designed Glass Harmonica, the "Slide Clarinet" and the "Lepto Tootis" (glass wind/reed instruments), the Glass Marimba (glass bars on a resonantor box), the microtonal Tube Xylophone, the Crystal Gong made from quartz, and numerous bigger and smaller percussion instruments.


FAQ & A from the Glass Orchestra website:

Q - Do you break many instruments?
A - The Glass Orchestra is probably the only ensemble in the world that can count on the total destruction of its instruments. The breakage can be caused by the musicians in performance or can be caused by the correct choice of baggage handling company. They have developed the breakage philosophy that now instead of one instrument there are two or more new instruments. When an instrument breaks the result is usually more harmonically complex and interesting to listen to. (Unless the destruction is total!)

Q - Why do you use candles in the show?
A - The ensemble chooses to place many candles in and around the instruments during the show and turns the stage lights down very low because we like to see the hundreds of reflections in the instruments.


Links:

The group compositions/improvisations "Euroglass 8" and "Euroglass 9" were recorded at a concert of the "Neue Musik im Staedel" series, on February 8th, 1980, in Frankfurt/M., Germany. Musicians were: Marvin Green, Eric Cadesky, Miguel Frasconi, John Kuipers and Paul Hodge.

Enjoy!
(1)

14 comments:

  1. i hope this is better than that stupid gimmicky vegetable orchestra.

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks promising maybe in line with mozart's glass harmonica music

    thanks for all your sharings

    ReplyDelete
  3. than k y o u !!!!!!!
    big suprise post for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reads promising indeed. I go have a look at the linked pages.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for posting this.Beautiful!!!!

    John V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the second archive is broken, can you re-post it please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jawohl, GD - this is way better than the Veg Orch. I hope you like it.

    Doroskedeho & the others: you're welcome. I have another set of "Euroglass" on old rolling tape, but I didn't get to transfer it before my old trusty Revox went to tapemachine heaven (RIP). However, if I get to borrow a still working tape recorder, "Euroglass 10" will be posted here on the "Closet".

    Anonymous: I checked the links & files, and all worked fine. And it isn't the archive file that's broken. Must have been a link in temporarily vortex. Try again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is excellent. Thanks very much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's not the only ensemble in the world that perform with glass instruments. the Swiss Percussion Group had a programm with stones, glass and clay (1998: Glass Songs, feat. Carolyn Leonhardt, vocals).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks--I've always enjoyed the sounds of glass (whether the glass harmonica or Annea Lockwood experiments)--I had heard an older record from this ensemble before & loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few Glass Orchestra CD's called -Live From The Archive - volumes 1+2" They are paid for so I am sending them to people for the cost of postage and a mailer from Canada. So they are free to those who are curious. Contact me - eric@glassorchestra.com if you want some. I am the current director of the Glasso so this is no gimmick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings from Ritualistic Nature.
    Very recent i discover this blog, thanks to one of my readrs blog.You have here some nice stuff, very cool this glass Orchestra, thanks for share :)

    !namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this great resource! A lot of new discoveries to add to my wish list! I've tried to dl the second part of the GOT several times from the two available sources but I keep getting format error messages. If I can still obtain CDs from "ManFromGlass" that would be fantastic because what I've heard so far is great and should be available on CD.

    ReplyDelete