Thursday, March 6, 2008

TONES, EXTRA-LONG

The bad link is FIXED now. DL via Mediafire. I've been away for a few days, so I couldn't do it earlier. Thanks for your patience.

As stated in the comments section, this version is from 1984, performed in Cologne by the Trio Basso.

In 1958, when John Cage worked on his anarchic "Concert for Piano and Orchestra", young La Monte took off in a different direction with his composition "Trio for Strings". Inspired by Indian Ragas and Japanese Gagaku, this 12-tone piece conveys a strong feeling of musical stasis.

***

"This serial piece, with its silences and long tones, paved the way for music based on tonality, drone and infinite time spans, brushing aside elaborate formal development in favor of the contemplation of pure sound."

David Paul, Seconds Magazine No. 50, NYC 1999

***

"After completing UCLA, I got my BA in 1958. Over the summer I had permission to compose on the large organ in Royce Hall. I had the idea that I wanted to write something with long sustained tones. I wanted to actually hear the tones sounding. The idea to write a piece with long sustained tones came to me totally by intuition. It was not something that I calculatedly decided I should try. It wasn't an experiment. It was not a lark. It was something that came to me totally through inspiration and intuition. Something that was inspired from above, and I felt that I must write long sustained tones. I had to do this. It was my calling. I began to write them.

I had written some long sustained tones in the middle section of For Brass in 1957. These tones were so long that it prompted Lucas Foss to once say, "La Monte Young lived on Zen standard time; a second to him was just a heartbeat in the life of the Buddha." He was very supportive of me, whereas nobody else at UCLA was really understanding of this kind of work with serial composition. He was understanding of it, and he was encouraging me to continue even though I was not at the time directly having a class with him. I had previously had classes with him, and so we knew each other, and he was very supportive of me.

So, in the summer of '58 I wrote the Trio for Strings at the great organ in Royce Hall at UCLA. I actually finished writing out the transparencies, the "onion skins", on Sept. 5 after I had already arrived at the Berkeley campus. I was just finding my way around at Berkeley. I showed this composition to my new composition teacher Seymour Schiffrin, and he expressed concern about the piece. He was having these private music calls for the graduate students in his composition class at his home. It was a very interesting composition class, because not only did it include me, but it included Pauline Oliveros, David Del Tredici, Lauren Rush, Charles McDermott, and Terry Riley who was auditing the class. ... Meanwhile though, Seymour was concerned. I didn't know what I was hearing with these long sustained tones, even though I had written it at the organ mind you. He arranged to have a performance of the work at his house, which was nice. The violinist was Oleg Kovalenko, the violist was John Graham, and the cellist was Bonnie Thompson. In any case, they played it and I was very happy to hear it. Clearly I had known what I was writing and so I was able to talk about the piece. The piece became a constant topic of conversation at Berkeley forever after that, especially in that class. I venture to say that none of the people in that class would have ever gone on to do what they did had they not heard the Trio for Strings at that time."

An Interview with La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela, by Gabrielle Zuckerman, American Public Media, July 2002

***

"I think that this kind of sense of time has to do with getting away from the earthly sense of direction which goes from birth to death, in other words, like developmental form, and has to do with static form and moving up into, by up I mean like vertically, as in Vertical Hearing, moving, then, up through the sound of a chord or the sound of a tamboura or the sound of an interval that's sustained, using this to create a drone state of mind as I described. By using this to create a drone state of mind, it provides a means toward achieving a state of meditation or an altered state of consciousness that can allow you to be more directly in touch with universal structure and a higher sense of order. And that once one achieves this kind of state of consciousness, in order to maintain it, one is not trying to get back down to the earthly level and get back involved with directional, climactic form, developmental form, one wants to stay in this more static state. The drone constants are very supportive and allow you to use them as positioning points of reference, to remain aloft, so to speak, in this special state of consciousness and awareness."

La Monte Young & Marian Zazeela: an interview by Ian Nagoski.

***

18 comments:

  1. Hey, I don't think the download links are working. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where does this recording come from?
    who are the performers? year?

    wow, thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear this. But my hopes are dashed since the download links appear to be inactive. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, both Massmirror and Sharebee are messed up.

    At Sharebee, for the last 5 attempts, I tried to upload a file and each time when the file is supposed to be completely uploaded, I get the message each time "Due to unknown reasons the upload has been cancelled" or something like that. WTF?

    H.C. hopefully this is a good suggestion, I've been using Mediafire for my last few posts. It seems to be working so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this - I'd like to know the performance details as well - hope you get the download working soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for finding this, and yes, I do hope you get the download working soon, wherever is convenient. (Sadly, Massmirror still seems b0rk3n.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if this the same or a different performance, but this piece is also here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/13258299/Trio_For_Strings.RAR

    ReplyDelete
  8. And can anybody tell us which performance this rapidshare piece is?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some Googling suggests that it's by Trio Basso, from 1984, performed in Köln.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd agree---it didn't sound like a violin+viola cello, but rather viola+cello+contrabass. Nice performance, even though one can easily hear every change in bowing. LMY feels the Trio is nearly impossible to pull off otherwise, since musicians have yet to learn how to play the Trio without audible bowing changes (Young apparently composed the piece on an organ, which obviously can sustain notes wihtout any interruption). Still, this is a very nice performance, and the only one I've heard. I suspect that's true of most people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I just downloaded the file from the new link, and it seems different from the one accessable from the rapidshare link in one of the comments above. For starters, this is a few minutes faster, and as best I can tell is for the original scoring of violin, viola and cello. What I don't understand is why iTunes insists it's over 6 hours long and encoded at 32 kbps. It isn't, and sounds fine.

    Can someone else confirm that these two performances are indeed different?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to have these two versions up, but can anyone point to a recording of the revised version for sextet in just intonation?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, never mind. I just played both files simultaneously and they're the same performance. Something must be wrong with the encoding of the newer file (not the one via rapidshare), since it is actually 53 minutes long, but iTunes and cetain other applications indicate an incorrect duration and sample rate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The revised version in just intonation was, as far as I know, in process to be recorded by Charles Curtis and others. However, that was at least a year or two ago, and I've heard nothing more about it. Maybe LMY had second thoughts or some other reluctance to get it out there?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You probably wanted to listen to it for over 6 hours anyway so there ya go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although the revised version is for specified just intonation, this performance here naturally conforms to it in parts (as it's only natural to go to an unbeating, just interval when holding out long durations). I haven't seen the score for the sextet - does it specify exact ratios?

    ReplyDelete
  17. h.c. earwicker-a much belated thank you for this post.really enjoying it.
    by turns bracing and hypnotic.thanks again.

    John V.

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy to find this post working...thank you...

    ReplyDelete