Saturday, September 19, 2009

Khusus Tabuh Joged Sekar Padma Vol.7 Sudimara-Tabanan



Khusus Tabuh Joged Sekar Padma - Vol. 7: Sudimara-Tabanan

I found and bought this cassette (which was released in 1980) at one of the local thrift stores. There are no liner notes or any substantial information included. They certainly would have been very helpful, as I do not know anything about the music in the places on this tape: Sudimara and Tabanan. I had to look up these places on Google. It appears that Sudimara is a tiny village located in west Java (several miles west of the capital of Indonesia, Jakarta) yet there does not appear to be any website that has any information about this place. Tabanan is a district and also the name of a large town in west Bali. There is not much helpful information in the search results about the music of Tabanan that would explain the music on this tape. All of the music sounds to me as if it is the same style which is gamelan featuring primarily bamboo instruments. So, it is difficult to ascertain what is from Sudimara and Tabanan. As always, enjoy the music.

Side A


1. Oleg {15:46}


2. Margapati {13:57}


Side B


1. Tenun {17:12}


2. Panji Semirang {12:34}


(1)

11 comments:

  1. I love the bamboo gamalan stuff. Such a great sound.

    The latest Pen & Mallet is an experimental piano Etude that might interest your readers. Next post will be musique concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post! where did you find a tape deck with the dbx noise reduction system?
    check out two Egyptian cassettes at my blog: http://panmietek.blogspot.com/2009/09/dwie-kasety-z-gornego-egiptu-upper.html
    can any Arabic speaker help me with the titles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, this is fantastic!
    i think this page may describe the music which is heard here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamelan_joged_bumbung
    also, i believe the group may be "sekar padma", as those are the only proper nouns in the title

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find! Thank you for the beautiful cassette scans as well. I'm a bit surprised to find the recording is from Java as I've only heard Jegog from Bali. In fact I posted a great example of this on my blog: http://vaubu.blogspot.com/2009/05/httprapidshare.html

    It makes sense that this kind of music would be boundless though since it is for entertainment purposes rather than any cultural or religious ceremonies. I bet Matt over @ http://braingoreng.blogspot.com/ would have some more ideas about this but he's on hiatus apparently.

    Cheers Grey Calx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. icastico,

    It is a great sound. I hope to find more bamboo gamelan music.

    I'm looking forward to listening to your latest and next posts on Pen & Mallet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mietek,

    My tape player doesn't have the dbx noise reduction system? It is actually a portable radio with a tape player and CD player. As long as the tapes sound good, I'm satisfied.
    Thanks for the Egyptian cassettes. I'll try to find an Arabic speaker to translate the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter,

    Thanks for the Wikipedia link. It did help.
    I think you may be right about the group's name. It is likely just Sekar Padma. I may edit the post this weekend to correct the group's name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. vaubu,

    Do you know anything about the Aneka label? I noticed that Brain Goreng has posted a few Aneka titles. I was going to ask him, but as you said he's on hiatus. I recently discovered this blog not too long ago (after he went on hiatus).
    It would make sense that this music is for entertainment purposes rather than cultural and religious purposes which would explain why this music is from both Java and Bali. Thanks for the insight. Cheers to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. would it be possible to re up this one
    thanks for so many great sounds
    and certainly curious
    robert

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank u so much the sound of
    bamboo is my favorite

    i use it alot in my own music
    robert

    ReplyDelete