Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Feldman Chamber Music


Morton Feldman - Chamber Music

Performed by Ensemble Avantgarde:
Kerstin Klein - soprano (track 1)
Markus Kohler - baritone (tracks 2, 3 and 4)
Ralf Mielke - flute (track 8)
Matthias Kreher - clarinet (track 8)
Johannes Winkler - horn (track 1)
Jochen Pleb - horn (track 5)
Stefan Stopora - percussion (tracks 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8)
Winfried Nitzsche - percussion (track 8)
Steffen Schleiermacher - piano/celesta (tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8)
Andreas Seidel - violin (tracks 1, 2, 5, 7 and 8)
Ivo Bauer - viola (track 4)
Matthias Moosdorf - violoncello (tracks 1, 2, 5, 7 and 8)
Direction - Roland Kluttig (track 8)


I paint the white as well as the black, and the white is just as important. What the American painter Franz Kline (1910-62) said about his paintings - brusque, black brush gestures on a white background - can be applied equally to Morton Feldman's composition. Composition means defining sound space, and this is done just as much with the "black" of the notes as, ex negativo, with the "white" silence, the absence of sound. In its reduction of sound elements, its new balance of sound and not-sound, Feldman's music attains the magical, floating quality that the composer admired in the early - nonfigurative - paintings of his painter-friend Philip Guston (1913-80): the complete absence of gravity of a painting that is not confined to a painting space but rather existing somewhere in the space between the canvas and ourselves, as Feldman once wrote. Again and again, Feldman noted that the illusion of stasis in his scores could only be understood in the context of his intensive engagement with the visual arts: Stasis, as it is utilized in painting, is not traditionally part of the apparatus of music. [...] The degrees of stasis found in a [Mark] Rothko or Guston were perhaps the most significant elements that I brought to my music from painting. (Peter Niklas Wilson)

Tracklisting:


1. For Franz Kline {5:12}


2. The O'Hara Songs I {4:53}


3. The O'Hara Songs II {1:45}


4. The O'Hara Songs III {3:49}


5. De Kooning {14:46}


6. Piano Piece to Philip Guston {3:18}


7. Four Instruments {12:21}


8. For Frank O'Hara {15:49}


(1)

8 comments:

  1. can also be _ound here:
    http://the-big-f.blogspot.com/2008/04/morton-eldman-chamber-music.html
    (in ogg files, better quality)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I didn't see your post before I posted this _eldman recording. I have not really visited this big-f blog until now. Anyway, not everyone likes .ogg files and I am one of those people.

    I see stuff on the blogs and message boards all the time that I posted months before and these are usually posted with less-quality files than the ones I offered. Having said that, I really don't care if people post the same content I post. I have other more important things in life to worry about. We should be lucky that our blogs have not been shut down (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to find more Feldman. Thank you.

    And 320 kb/s mp3s are perfectly fine in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do feel lucky that our blogs are not shut down. I do worry about that from time to time. I also think about the education I get out of file sharing. And I enjoy having some back and forth with people about the music. I wish there was more of that, but I honestly feel like I move so fast through my downloads that I barely take the time to say more than thanks. I also think about the music I'm not making as I'm listening to all these great sounds but I think creativity comes in alot of forms. I can appreciate that some folks do oggs and flacs but I'm pretty exclusively into high quality mp3s. Anywho, Morton Feldman Chamber Works? hell yeah. Thanks Calyx Grey-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the original CD has not the best sound of itself, in spite of being a Wergo. So don't mind those picky about the quality of the copies. Always good to have Feldman up, hope for more from Morty! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ vaubu

    I am guilty of not doing more to be involved in and encourage dialogue about the music. Lately, my schedule consists mostly of school and work. I barely have time to post on my blogs. The little spare time that I have left over is finding, ripping or recording and uploading records. Also I download stuff and go through that stuff fast too that I have no time to think of anything to say about the downloads since I am learning more about the contents in them.

    -------------------

    I appreciate the comments from everyone so far. It was my pleasure to post this. I'll try to find some more Feldman. Please keep the comments coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mp3 is just fine fine fine, wonderful. I can*t tell the difference and don*t believe anyone else can. Hell there*ll always be some miseryguts who wants more/more/more/better/better/better and won*t be satisfied until they*ve got the actual string quartet/orchestra playing in their living room. God most of us are old enough to remember what life was like before the internet and brilliant music blogs, when getting the chance to hear morton f even on some crummy fading-out medium wave station was pretty impossible. OGG flac ape etc - too much choice about things that don*t matter.
    wonderful blog, recent postings especially excellent.
    P

    ReplyDelete