
Music Revelation Ensemble- NO WAVE (Moers, 1980)
This is the first Music Revelation Ensemble record.
This album bears stylistic similarities with Ornette Coleman's Prime Time (Ulmer had played and recorded on the album Body Meta before Ornette adopted the name of Prime Time for his electric septet). Though this group is half the size, they make a comparible volume of music.
No Wave also bears unmistakeable Rock influences- particularly the influence of Jimi Hendrix; the last great innovator of electric guitar language and technique, and after whose death development stopped, in Ulmer's opinion.
The momentum and drive of pieces like "Manic Depression" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"could be cited.
Ulmers quick, stabbing attack (even in a relatively laid-back and sexy tune as Big Tree) is perfectly matched by the interval-jumping bass playing of Amin Ali and the powerhouse drum-pummeling of Ronald Shannon Jackson. The trio make a conglomerate sound which is almost impossible to untangle. This is Knotty music at its best. Add to this the Tenor Saxophone and Bass Clarinet of David Murray who is here as aggressive and fiery as he needs to be- and you have a powerful, driving, unrelenting piece of incendiary vinyl.
Though the group has been called a jazz/funk group, I would argue that it bears more resemblence to the post-punk no wave bands like Television and The Voidoids than P-Funk or Sly And THe Family Stone. I think the title of this record is no accident. Still (for what it's worth) - this music is
generally more tuneful (and funky) than another identically-equipped group featuring Shannon Jackson; Last Exit.
-Dr I

Music Revelation Ensemble - NO WAVE (Moers Records) 1980
Side One:
1: Time Table (10:09)
2: Big Tree (8:53)
Side Two:
3: Baby Talk (9:45)
4: Sound Check (8:29)
All compositions by James Blood Ulmer
James Blood Ulmer- Guitar and Vocals (on track 4)
David Murray- Tenor Saxophone and Bass Clarinet (on track 2)
Amin Ali- Electric Bass
Ronald Shannon Jackson- Drums
Recorded in June, 1980
(1)
Great post, I was about to post this.
ReplyDeleteI have not heard this since it came out. However, the link is dead. Could you re-post please?
ReplyDeleteHi Dirk Bill-
DeleteThe link is not dead,apparently-
Maybe it has been reincarnated?
I thought my Rapidshare stuff was kaput.
Hello dear Doctor, and thanks for the reply! You are absolutely correct, sir; this link is just fine! I see where RS has developed a "new look" recently, and I probably was not savvy enough to deal with it last time I was here. All is well, and I have more David Murray now! Thank you profusely for this. I will be more careful in future in case more of your RS stuff is not "kaput"!
DeleteGlad to be of service.
DeleteI hope you can find more reincarnated links
among the ones you initially were looking for.
Good Luck!
beautiful music...a flow of exhilarating intricacies...regards
ReplyDeleteGlad you like it.
DeleteHave you tried Steve Lacy Seven-Prospectus?
It doesn't get much better than this.
Also-check Ilhan Mimaroglu/Freddie Hubbard-
Sing Me A Song Of Songmy- perhaps the finest
mix of modern musics to be found in the Closet.