Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Syrinx-LONG LOST RELATIVES (1971)

























The first Syrinx album attracted enough positive interest here that I've decided to post the second one.

While I personally prefer the first one, this album is more ambitious, better recorded (the percussionist can be clearly heard this time), and adds a choir,a classical percussionist with batterie and a string section to the basic instrumentation of Synthesizers,Amplified and Processed Alto Saxophone and Hand Percussion.
Everything is more refined on this album - compare this album's reprised treatment of "Field Hymn" with the first album's version and you'll hear what I mean.

Some excerpted notes from the gatefold (enclosed):

(...)There's a touch here and there of the Columbia-Princeton kind of electronic composition in Mills-Cockell's romantic approach to his music.
He likes textures- at any time there might be two or three different distances, the music and the echo of the music simultaneously.
Pringle...fits neatly into this web: He sounds -to me- something between King Curtis and Sonny Stitt,with a few tricks of his own, but Wells's playing is more elusive.It's there- always. If you can't hear it, you can sense it.And like any good drummer, he seems to contain the other's music, etc, giving it a framework(...)
-Peter Goddard












Syrinx-Long Lost Relatives (1971 True North)

Side One:

1-Tumblers To The Vault
2-Syren
3-December Angel

Side Two:

4-Ibistix
5-Field Hymn (Epilogue)
6-Tillicum
7-Better Deaf And Dumb From The First
8-Aurora Spinray
























John Mills-Cockell: Arp Synthesizer,Moog Synthesizer,Keyboards
Doug Pringle: Saxophone,Guiro,Bongos,Bells
Alan Wells: Congas,Tympani,Gongs,Tambourines

(1) or (1)

12 comments:

  1. A wonderful record - among the very best & interesting I've heard in months...

    A simple thanks is not enough for this discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Thank You for this second post of Syrinx.
    JR

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fascinating record - thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the wonderful posts here and all the music you introduced me to. I know you're updating old posts when time permits, but could you include Erik Satie's "Parade, Relache ballets and Gymnopedies" by The Paris Conservatoire Orchestra in the next group of updates. Missed it first time around and am now kicking myself. Appreciated indeed and best to you,

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolutely wonderful blog. Thanks so much for this and your Basement Curios one as well. This is exactly what a music blog should be: wide ranging, well researched and wonderfully curated. I've heard some great new sounds thanks to you, and learned a great deal more. The Syrinx stuff is icing on the cake! Thanks from Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your wonderful page.

    In few times I will published some sound poetry in my blog

    http://daten-messie.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr.,

    Maybe I did vicariously spend (a little too much) time in Montreal's, Mind Excursion Centre as it's now taken me several weeks to realize that 'Long Lost Relatives' is in fact the work of the same group that authored the installation piece from MEC which you shared earlier (and that I enjoyed immensely). Or maybe I'm just a) getting old, b) too distracted, c) in need of sleep, d) all of the above. But thank you for sharing this follow-up. I haven't heard it yet, but I trust your taste (and dug the last one), so I know I'm in for a treat.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This music could be called quaint, musty, belonging to another time etc. But it's also very evocative in a way that their followers (Windham Hill artists, etc) strained to emulate, and unlike the first album some of it has a groove, which is a bonus. Thanks for both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanx man,very interesting blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... been a long time! i used to own this vinyl, and was a big fan of the band...
    i got to see them live once - they were playing a dance at a neighbouring high school. it was very cool, the music was great and watching the other kids who had taken various substances thinking it would be just another rock'n'roll band trip out was a night to remember...
    thanks for this and all your other sharing here!respect,
    d

    ReplyDelete