Friday, June 13, 2008

Midsummer Nights

by Bernie Krause & Ruth Happel
Here's a nice one for the weekend, continuing our ongoing series with posts of nature and environmental recordings. If you want to give yourself a special treat, listen to "Midsummer Nights" at night, in a darkened room, putting your player on "repeat". A wonderful experience.

While many may not have heard of Bernie Krause, they surely have heard his work. He's a synthesizer pioneer who worked with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and who has contributed to the soundtracks for "Apocalypse Now" and other major movies, Krause is also the world's most accomplished student and recorder of natural sound, with a veritable truckload of interesting releases on labels like "Wild Sanctuary" and "Miramar". He has recorded gorillas at Diane Fosse's camp in Rwanda, orangutans in Sumatra, polar bears in Alaska, and ants in the desert of the American Southwest. I you want to dive deeper into this subject, I highly recommend his book "Into a Wild Sanctuary: A Life in Music and Natural Sound", widely available in an easily affordable edition.


Nycticorax nycticorax - Night Heron

Track 1 East: 30:02
A barred owl, eastern screech owl and night heron punctuate the evening chorus of crickets and cicadas of the Adirondack Mountains in the Eastern United States. Recording by Ruth Happel.


Song of the Screech Owl

Track 2 West: 30:31
Bullfrogs and a great horned owl sing solo against the rhythmic pulse of the insect chorus in the Cascade Mountains of Northern California. Recording by Bernie Krause.



Great Horned Owl

The first cut, recorded in the Adirondacks by Ruth Happel, espresses an evening biophony characteristic of an Eastern U.S. soundscape after night-fall. Compare the cricket rhythms, textures, and sonorities with those recorded in the West by Bernie Krause in the Cascade Mountains of Northern California. Many think of evening sounds in a generalized way. Yet, careful listening tells a very different story. This recording is a perfect example of biophonies that reveal a sense of place beyond the typical visual experiences humans normally encounter. The eastern evening biophony recorded by Happel (cut 1) represents a particular spot whose voice can be heard nowhere else on the planet. The cricket orchestra defines it in much the same way one can discern the difference between the music of Bach and that of the Beatles. Likewise, the Krause recording (Cut 2), is a perfect definition of that particular territory, replete with bullfrogs and an occasional distant great-horned owl. Yet, both cuts evoke a clear sense of time - an evening special to those creatures, human and non-human, alike, who occupy the same respective habitats. (Bernie Krause)

6 comments:

  1. Hello,
    thanks for all the eclectic music here...i did try to download this 3x but it always failed to open... unusual as i have never had a problem here otherwise..perhaps this is why you have seen no comments on this post..best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello wall,
    I downloaded and I was able to open and uncompress the file. Then I was able to play the files. No problems on my end.

    I'm just guessing the cause of your problem here. Did you download both parts? For this, you have to have both parts for it to uncompress. The split function was used when it was compressed. By the way, I never use the split function on WinRAR. For it to work best, it is probably recommended to get both parts from the same file host of your choosing from the Sharebee links.

    ----------------------------------

    Has anyone else had a problem opening the file?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wall & Grey!

    That's an issue we've been having here every now & then in the past. I think if more people had problems with downloading & openening MIDSUMMER NIGHTS, they would've complained in the comments section (like they did with older posts).

    I'm using the auto-split function of RAR because it makes sure the whole download package of the recording stays complete. You just need to have all the RAR file parts downloaded & make sure the file names are identical (except for the index numbers of the parts), since some share sites seem to alter the names slightly from time to time.

    BTW, my apologies for not posting anything for nearly 2 weeks now - my computer was very sick. But it's up & running again now, so I'll be back very soon with new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, my apologies for not posting anything for nearly 2 weeks now - my computer was very sick. But it's up & running again now, so I'll be back very soon with new posts.

    Hello, H.C. No need for apology. Shit like that happens sometimes. Good to know your computer is working again. People should understand and not get angry over lack of free music. If they are, they should be fortunate there's plenty of it in the archives and elsewhere on the net.
    Not that it's a problem here, but earlier in the year, I had some troll constantly bitch about the lack of updates in Autres Grooves.

    I think if more people had problems with downloading & openening MIDSUMMER NIGHTS, they would've complained in the comments section (like they did with older posts).

    Yeah, that's the #1 reason why people usually bother to write comments. I don't like to say it, but it's true for blogs in our line of work.
    I've seen some of my fellow sharity bloggers express their displeasure at the lack of comments and also the download to comment ratio which I am guessing the average is about 105 to 1. That's counting only the posts that have at least a comment. I've seen some great shares on other blogs that have yet to receive a comment. There are even those who threatened to quit if the amount of comments did not increase.

    I'm not going to go all crazy and lose sleep over the lack of comments on my blogs. But I sympathize with their frustrations over the lack of comments. It takes a lot of work and time to find, rip and upload stuff then put together a post about the item.
    To be honest, I'm not exactly the best at leaving comments around the blogosphere. I should work on posting more comments elsewhere even if it's just to say 'thanks'.

    I just wondered why a great share like this went almost 2 weeks without a single comment. It seemed kind of odd considering similar posts had favorable and insightful comments.
    I'm probably not going to bring it up again as I do this in hopes of turning people onto some different music (some of my favorite music)and to reunite people with old favorites. I also do this to give something back as I've dl'ed lots of good music (some really hard to find) over the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - very cool material here. No issues extracting the files, enjoying "West" in my office right now. Thanks tons for doing this - just discovered your blog today, and have identified several downloads to come back for - you focus on a side of recorded music and sound I haven't really considered or investigated previously. Thanks for all the hard work!
    E

    ReplyDelete