
Pierre Boulez/Karlheinz Stockhausen - New Directions in Music 1
I didn't mean to go over two weeks without posting anything. Hopefully, I'll be able to resume regular posting. Anyway, I dug out this LP by two familar groundbreaking composers. Enjoy.
Excerpts from the liner notes written by Robert Kraft who conducted the performances on this LP:
Our perfromers were less than wildly enthusiastic about the music at first sight, and even at fifteenth sight they were inclined to invent "lazy dogmas of impossibility" (an early Alpinist quoted in Sir Gavin de Beer's The First Ascent of Mont Blanc). However, the performers now feel that these two pieces are perfectly imagined for their instruments. In fact, the instruments have been used so well and to such effect as to cause every player to regret not having more to play.
Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre for alto voice and six instruments
Performers:
Margery MacKay - alto voice
Arthur Gleghorn - flutist
Milton Thomas - violist
William Kraft - vibraphonist
Dorothy Remsen - xylorimbist
Theodore Norman - guitarist
Walt Goodwin - percussionist (playing bongos, maracas, tambourines, claves, bells, tam-tam, triangle, gong, cymbals, small cymbals)
Though Le Marteau is significant primarily for its own newness, the fact that it brings together two or three diverse strands seems to me almost as important. It is a connecting and tradition-forming work.
...
These are the major composer influences - Webern mostly, Schoenberg for Pierrot Lunaire, Stravinsky in one type of rhythm. Of some part of their music Boulez has made new and significant use. There are other influences and ingredients too, for example, Oriental and Latin American percussion instruments (gongs, maracas, bongos), jazz, the music of Messiaen and Varese.
Le Marteau represents a consolidation and simplification in Boulez's own development, too. It is his first work to have attained a wide success. (Why? Because it is less purely "abstract" than his piano pieces? Because it has a dramatic form and an exotic instrumentation? Because it is comparatively simple to hear and and to follow?)
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Zeitmasse for five woodwinds
Performers:
Arthur Gleghorn - flutist
Donald Muggeridge - oboist
Donald Leake - English-horn player
Donald Christlieb - bassoonist
William Ulyate - clarinetist
Electronic music - Stockhausen's own - is the most obvious influence on the Zeitmasse. In fact, the two kinds of composition ought to be considered side by side. The truth is, however, that I am incompetent to do so and will therefore have to stop at recommending the Zeitmasse to the listener as a piece of musical patterns and designs like any other, with tensions, speeds, progression, successive logic of ideas, form, like any other.
Tracklisting:
Side 1
1. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: Avant "L'Artisanat furieux" {1:28}
2. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: Commentaire I de "Bourreaux de solitude" {3:38}
3. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: "L'Artisanat furieux" {2:05}
4. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: Commentaire II de "Bourreaux de solitude" {3:05}
5. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: "Bel edifice et les pressentiments" version premiere {2:48}
6. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: "Bourreaux de solitude" {4:16}
7. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: Apres "L'Artisanat furieux" {0:49}
8. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: Commentaire III de "bourreaux de solitude" {4:31}
9. Pierre Boulez - Le Marteau sans maitre: "Bel edifice et les pressentiments" double {6:28}
Side 2
1. Karlheinz Stockhausen - Zeitmasse {13:07}
(1)
Thanks for this post - and welcome back. Just a small correction though: Stockhausen's piece is titled "Zeitmasze", or "Zeitmaße", which means times measures. "Zeitmasse" means something like time mass. Ok, this was Dr. Bullshit with more useless info you don't need.
ReplyDeleteAdam
Dear anonymous,
ReplyDeleteto further sport useless info:
the letter combo "ss" is a total common substitute for the letter "ß" (-sz-) which has never had an upper case appearance in font sets. (what changed actually about a month ago.)
Many international font sets still have not the letter "ß" included - you are expected to use "ss" in such a case.
i guess, stockhausen named his piece "Zeitmaße" and not "Zeitmasse".
ReplyDeleteBut since on the cover itself appears as "ZEITMASSE", you couldn't expect a non german speaker to convert it in "Zeitmaße" in those paragraphs.
But dear closetcurios, you could correct it now.
:)
In German Language, the rule goes like that:
ReplyDeleteIf the preceding vowel is long, the "ß" is used (like in "Maße" = measure, or "Straße").
If the preceding vowel is short, the "ss" goes into action (like in "Kasse" = mass or "Kasse").
Anyway, if you're writing in capital letters, like for a title or headline, you'll have to use the "SS" anyway.
Thanks for this very interesting post, Grey. From the liner notes, one can expect rather unique interpretations...
Knowledge dropped.
ReplyDeleteThat's how it is spelled on the cover and liner notes, so I assumed that it would be right when I typed it.
You're welcome, H.C.
G.clx, many thanks for this LP! Very happy to have it in a more portable format, and to possess it outside the purvey of cranky/lazy music-librarians for the first time. I wonder, is this a truncated or excerpted performance of LE MARTEAU? I didn't notice any note to this effect in your post. I listened to the new recording of it that was issue in the Deutsche Grammophon 20/21 Series just several years ago, and it seemed to be a full 38+ minutes.
ReplyDeleteMore important: many thanks for providing this gem! I am still very much on the fence about most of Boulez's compositions, and very disgusted by what seems like an unpardonable dogmatism and careerism in his way of doing _business_. Monopoloistic serialist eschatology should probably be pilloried as a dying gasp of imperial monology. Eventually all the imperatives will be laughed to death and only these sounds will remain; maybe then I'll be able to hear them for the first time, and I'm looking forward to it!
Just since this is the newest post that I can leave comments on, thanks also for the generous re-uploads...I needed a couple of these again, and for anyone who has not tried the AMM, the Xenakis, and the Charlemagne Palestine, these three are incredibly choice listening experiences....at the least, they have been for me. I cannot believe that I only heard this Palestine album a couple years ago for the first time: it is astounding. Don't worry about the frequency of your sharing, as this blog is always full of surprises, and when you _do_ share music I already know (and this is pretty rare), it is essential. You've turned me back onto some things I thought I knew! Nothing's better.
ReplyDeletegrasprelease,
ReplyDeleteI am glad to provide the re-uploads and it's good to know that you appreciate them. There will be more coming in a few days, btw. I turned off the comments for that particular post so that people can leave comments on the individual recordings if they have anything they want to say or to just say thanks.
Le Marteau... on the LP in my post was the correct length I believe; at the time it was recorded anyway. Boulez revised it for later recordings as he is known to do the same for his other compositions (maybe or maybe not for the better). I have the Boulez Conducts Boulez LP from the 70s where Le Marteau... is almost the same length as it is on the Deutsche Grammophon release. I haven't heard the performance on the already mentioned Deutsche Grammophon CD, but I read that it is a more expressive performance than the previous recordings. It slipped my mind that the time difference of recordings of later performances are longer until you mentioned it. Personally, I prefer the Le Marteau... recording from the LP in this post over the one on Boulez Conducts Boulez. I'll be sure to have a listen to the recent performance that you heard.
I know what you mean about Boulez. He is not one of my favorites. It was actually the Stockhausen piece that attracted my interest to this LP. I hoped that the other piece (Boulez) would be an enjoyable listening experience (as well as being interesting) and it certainly was.
Thx for the response and info, g.clx! Regardless of my grouching, it is very fine to have this recording of MARTEAU, and Kraft's liner comments certainly hold forth the inner promise of the music...make me want to listen carefully, more doggedly. I believe that John Zorn based his piece "Elegy" partially around a serialesque matrix derived in some way from MARTEAU, but I cannot remember my source for this (some interview), and this is also a rather digressive factoid a la Enduring Influence.
ReplyDeleteCheers to the Closetcurios Crew!
re-post please...
ReplyDeleteIt's finally reposted.
Delete