Monday, August 18, 2008

China: Shantung Folk Music & Traditional Instrumental Pieces



Lu-sheng Ensemble - China: Shantung Folk Music & Traditional Instrumental Pieces

If I had planned better in advance, I would have arranged to get more Chinese music posted here during the olympics. I just thought of that idea now, but it's probably too late. I have a little more interesting Chinese music buried deep somewhere in my archives. All I have for now is the outstanding recordings China: Folk Instrumental Traditions, Eleven Centuries of Traditional Music of China and this one.

From the liner notes:

The appeal and vitality of Chinese music is enriched by numerous regional styles or "dialects". One of the most ebullient styles is that of Shantung (classical name Lu), a province in Northeast China. This music, undoubtedly of ancient heritage, was performed by itinerant professional musicians hired whenever music was called for - festivals, funerals, weddings, or spirited parties. Since most were outdoor occasions, the ensemble featured instruments with suitably strong volume and carrying power: gongs, drums, and reeds. And since the performance context was a large public gathering, rather than a small, private elite audience as for classical music, there is an infectiously earthy quality in its melodies and rhythms (Side One, Bands 1, 2, 6; Side Two, Bands 4,5, 6). Contrasting with and complementing the Shantung Folk Music are more restrained compositions from the classical repertory (Side One, Bands 3, 4, 5; Side Two, Bands 1, 2, 3).

Tracklisting:

Side One

1. Tien Chang {4:36}

2. T'ao Li Ch'un Feng {2:18}

3. Tao Yi Ch'u {3:44}

4. Ku Su Hsing {5:10}

5. Liang Hsiao {2:15}

6. Pai Niao Yin {6:27}

Side Two

1. Yu Chou Ch'ang Wan {5:18}

2. Yueh Yeh {3:58}

3. Hsiao Fang Niu {3:32}

4. Yeh Shen Ch'en {3:00}

5. Lao Seng Sao Tien {2:33}

6. Pai Yun Ku Hsiang {4:56}

(1) or (1)

5 comments:

  1. don't care about olympics. it has nothing to do with chinese culture, it's just about nationalism and money.
    but a big thank you for your last three posts. these are treasures !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just using the fact that China is hosting the olympics and the resulting media attention China is receiving. I believe (or hope) that people (referring to my fellow Americans) are taking more of an interest in at least some aspects of Chinese culture such as music for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another excellent posting - listeners may [or may not!] be interested by the possible influence the final track had on the Virgin Prunes "if I die, I die" album track "sweet home under white clouds" both in terms of title and sonics -try listening back to back if you ever get the chance....

    ReplyDelete
  4. 非常開心能見到我國的古典音樂!更加開心的是這是張爲數不多的傳統音樂:)))By the way,thanks for sharing these music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have scanned countless blogs, looking for something truly unique and mind-expanding. this blog is it.

    ReplyDelete