Togo - Musique Kabiye
Our last two posts of African music ("The Music of the Ba-Benzélé Pygmies" and "The Pygmies of the Ituri Forest") were well received by our visitors, so here's another record, this time from the Ocora label, featuring music of the Kabiyè people in Togo, documenting their unique and amazing society and culture. You'll get to hear lithophones (percussion instruments made from stone), whistle flutes (not unlike those of the Ba-Benzélé pygmies), driving drumbeats, polyrhythms, archaic counterpoint of the minimalist kind, and more.
The Kabiyè have lived since time immemorial in northern Togo, in mountains of chaotic and ruined appearance that served as a refuge from invaders, raiders and slave traders. Little by little they have deforested the mountains and, to subsist, have had to labor stubbornly to subdue this rocky land by concentrated agricultural development along the slopes creating veritable hanging gardens, mainly of millet and jams.
This society of incomparable farmers was devoid in the past of traditional chieftains (and professional musicians), but despite this it was not anarchic, because it was organized by age groups, each one having its own function.
These two characteristics determine the role of music in this society: on one hand the relationship with the agricultural cycle, on the other the organization by age groups.
Primarily, the music accompanies the principal feminine and masculine labors. This explains its seasonal character - each agricultural festival is associated with its particular music - and the ban on the use of certain instruments except for established celebrations, like the lithophone and the water flutes. Music's place in agricultural ritual also explains its special role in the worship of the dead, promoters of fertility. Secondarily, music is associated with the age groups, especially the efala and the kondona who, after five years, reach the staus of free man and citizen. The heavy bell, made of paired hoes, is the prerogative of the chief initiates, who present themselves to the people by climbing up an earthen hill, at the top of which they strike the bell.
Recordings, text and photos: Raymond Verdier and Anne-Marie Lavilléon
Recorded between 1960 and 1972
- Lithophone solo -
- Songs -
- Xylophone solo -
- The donga drum -
- Burial music -
- A rain dance -
- Musical Bow solo -
- Flute and horn: message transmission -
- The Orchestra of Landa -
Many thanks for your great job !
ReplyDeleteAmour & Plus-Value
Excellent post Mr. Earwicker. Sorry, I didn't mean to bump your post from the top of the page so soon. When I finished publishing the Ghost Orchid post, I didn't know you recently posted something.
ReplyDeleteGlad you posted something from Ocora. I think that this blog has been way overdue to have an Ocora LP though other blogs like Different Waters are doing a great job filling in the gaps. Also, I've never seen a copy of any Ocora record in the area where I live which mainly explains the absence of Ocora on this blog until now.
Please click the Rapidshare link on Sharebee to see why it might be good finding an alternative sharehoster (Rapidshare allows only 10 downloads from "anonymous" uploads, e.g. from Sharebee).
ReplyDelete(Rapidshare allows only 10 downloads from "anonymous" uploads, e.g. from Sharebee).
ReplyDeleteKai, I wasn't aware of this. Does Rapidshare only allow 10 dl's a day from anonymous/Sharebee uploads? A week, a month or some other time period?
I rarely use Rapidshare, I use the other three on Sharebee. I'm hoping that Sharebee either replaces Rapidshare with Mediafire or adds Mediafire. I'm also hoping that another service similar to Sharebee comes along as the last several similar ones (e.g. ShareOn All, Massmirror, etc.) were failures for various reasons. Sharebee is the only good one that I know of at the moment.
Wow ! This is an amazing and beautiful record ! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteJust a question : 1st part is ok but I can't download the 2nd part correctly (corrupt file).
Since all the album is in the 1st part (25 mp3 + texts + pics), I'm wondering what is in the 2nd part...
Thanks, y'all. I got this one from a second hand record store. I go there about once in month, and I always find at least one Ocora or Baerenreiter/Musicaphon LP in the shelves, waiting for me to pick it up. So there'll be more posts like this one...
ReplyDeleteI've always found African music very uplifting and inspiring. Glad that you like it, too.
WA - there's nothing wrong with the second file, try downloading it again. WINRAR split the compressed file at 100 MB, it contains data from the folder with the ripped record. You'll need Part 2 to unrar the whole thing.