Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two Moods



G. S. Sachdev - Two Moods

LP released in 1981

G. S. Sachdev - flute
Zakir Hussain - tabla
Jessica Skala - tanpura
Ilene Marder - swar-peti

Gurbachan Singh Sachdev has gained international acclaim as a master flutist by actively performing throughout Europe, Asia and the United States. Thirty years of dedication to the ancient classical music of India has resulted in both the purity of tone and subtleties of rhythm. He brings to the ancient, classical form, his own creative improvisations.

Kaushik Dhwani, a morning raga, is pentatonic in structure as it omits the second and fifth notes ascending and descending. It is played in a rhythmic cycle of 16 beats known as Teental (4+4+4+4). Many different rhythmic patterns are played against the basic rhythm. It is romantic in mood.

Purya-Kalyan, an evening raga, is a mixture of ragas Purya & Kalyan. The second note is flat and the fourth is sharp. A slow movement (Alap) gently merges into a rhythmic cycle of 12 beats (Ektal) followed by a Teental of 16 beats. It is peaceful in mood. (from the liner notes)




Tracklisting:

Side One


1. Kaushik Dhwani {25:32}


Side Two


1. Purya-Kalyan {25:01}


(1)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, didn't see your email, just a quick thanks and share from material on this site ;-)

    http://loopyc.com/?p=984


    ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Loopy C. I am enjoying your remixes/reinterpretations of my latest music box vinyl shares. Very interesting idea.
    I have another music box LP in the pipeline. I may post it before Thanksgiving if I can get around to it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad and tnank you very much!
    Amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you. -alfred venison

    ReplyDelete