Sunday, December 25, 2011

Karlheinz Stockhausen- TRANS



















Karlheinz Stockhausen- TRANS


From the liner notes (enclosed):

"Two rows of strings sit one behind the other at the front of the stage from extreme left to extreme right, the second row somewhat higher.
They play slowly,completely synchronously-like dolls-the whole time, synchronized by weaving loom sounds which shoot through the hall out of loudspeakers...over the heads of the people,very penetrating.
The curtain slowly opens (in the Donaueschingen performance many voices in the public said "Ohhhhhh..." because the entire orchestra is bathed in a violet light and everything looks so unreal...)
There is a large orchestra of winds and percussion divided into four groups. And the four groups are amplified over four loudspeakers...
But one never sees this orchestra during the performance.
One hears an orchestral work the entire time, but the strings sit in front of the major orchestra and the strings play only a sound-curtain and they optically cover the major orchestra.It is therefore a metaphysical work insofar as the entire time, one feels:"the essential is "behind" but one cannot see it!
...I dreamed the piece. That is why I cannot speak at all freely about it: I do not have an objective relation to it.I simply dreamed it thus".

About the record:
The tape recording of the world premiere in Donaueschingen (Oct.16,1971 Southwest German Radio) is reproduced on Side A of this record.It is- with all the reactions of the public- a document of the hot atmosphere of a Stockhausen premiere.Performances with other orchestras followed, and the symphony orchestra of the Saarland Radio, conducted by Hans Zender, performed TRANS twice in November 1973 in the city theater of Metz, France, and made a studio recording in January 1974. This recording is reproduced on side B, to point out how very much the sound Picture of TRANS changes, through interpretation, acoustics of the hall, various methods of instrument amplification and recording technique.



















Side One:

TRANS
Urauffuhrung (First Performance-Creation) (28:20)


Side Two:

TRANS
Studioaufnamme (Studio Recording) (26:10)


(1)

7 comments:

  1. Whoa crazy never heard of this one ... thanks for this and the Trans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DrEyescope, again you have come up with a masterpiece. I have this LP but no longer have a working turntable so it will be great to hear it after something like 12 years. Many thanks.

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Some of the audience really didn't like it.

    Great piece! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the CD of this & particularly like the live version both for the rough hewn quality of the performance & for the 'Rite of Spring" type audience riot at the end, divided between cheers jeers & boos. All the best gigs get booed!
    This piece is a 'dream vision' & was orginally called "Music for those about to die" ie for those in the process of passing over to the other side.
    I saw the version in London a couple of years back - it's very striking & haunting to experience the first time with the musicians behind a mauve screen - then after an interval the performance was repeated, which should have undercut the visual surprise & impact but, to me at least, made the whole thing even more ritualistic & uncanny
    HJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. HJ- You are SO lucky to have witnessed this piece in performance- I've seen about 6:00 on video and it was mesmerizing indeed.I can believe that a repeat would make it even stronger in it's impact.
    Victor,Brakhage- Most welcome.
    (I have a record with your signature on it, Brakhage. ;)
    Brian- Hi to a fellow countryman! Re: Mimaroglu: I'm still looking for "Tract" which has similarities to "Songmy". Also in the same neck of woods is "To Kill A Sunrise" (A
    Requiem for those shot in the back)
    No jazz,per se, but still very COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank's for the great postings. Some really interesting stuff. I tried to download this item, but Multiupload is down....

    ReplyDelete