
Marius Constant / Karlheinz Stockhausen-14 STATIONS / ZYKLUS
(Erato STU 70603) 1972?
Today would have been Marius Constant's 87th Birthday.
He died 15th May, 2004, aged 79.
The (rather spare) cover notes are in French, and I dare not risk the translating of technical terms.Since I couldn't find anything much online, you're stuck with my two bits worth.
Here is another Marius Constant record which has similar features to the other one I've posted:
Intelligent and creative use of unique instrumentation; primarily percussion, but including prepared electric guitar (either this or maybe the cello through a wah-pedal at one point), harpsichord, trombone, violin and viola.
The percussion batterie is enormous- the cover photos (enclosed) show images presumably taken at the recording session- Many gongs, 2 octaves of temple blocks, all the mallet instruments, loads of cowbells, tympani, and so forth.
The writing is primarily timbral and dramatic use is made of dynamic contrasts, space, and surprising color combinations. The piece has a ritual flavour (in it's theme,of course -The crucifixion, but also) in it's sound and the somewhat distinct division of Stations - (still not distinct enough for me to risk separating them) with the pitched instruments acting as spectators or commentators to the action.
Karlheinz Stockhausen's Zyklus is a (partially) graphic score which allows the percussionist to choose the order of the 12 parts, and thus the music unfolds differently in each performance, adding the extra element of risk if the performer decides not to choose the order until the moment of playing.
I have no idea what approach Gualda used, but the result is a strident, confident reading which seems more rhythmic and dramatic than the other versions I've heard. The playing is virtuosic and sounds multi-tracked at times; If it isn't, Gualda is an octopus.
Side One:
Marius Constant-14 Stations Pour Percussion Et Six Instruments
1-La Condamnation
2-La Croix
3-Première Chute
4-La Mère
5-Simon
6-Véronique
7-Deuxième Chute
8-Exhortation Aux Femmes
9-Troisième Chute
10-Vétements Arrachés
Side Two:
11-Crucifixion
12-La Mort
13-Descente
14-Ensevelissement
Percussion – Sylvio Gualda
Leader – Marius Constant
with:
Guitar [Prepared Electric Guitar] – Pierre Urbain
Harpsichord – Elisabeth Chojnacka
Cello – Jacques Wiederker
Trombone – Camille Verdier
Viola – Paul Hadjaje
Violin – Jacques Ghestem
15-Karlheinz Stockhausen-Zyklus Pour Percussion
Percussion – Sylvio Gualda

Photography By – Jean-Pierre Leloir
Engineer – Guy Laporte
Mixed By – Bernard Leroux
Soloists on 1 to 14 from Ars Nova Ensemble.
file repaired
(1)
Glad to see blog (back?) up and running. So much good coming now, and yet - yes: another request.
ReplyDeleteCertain oddiments recently posted remind one of desperately needed and difficult to locate Negative Band works of Stockhausen on the Finnadar label. Please post if possible... yes!
Also, more computer music.
Recent favorite post: Chamber Music of Harrison, Weber, Foss & Dahl. You guys are awesome - thank you kindly.
Anonymous- Sorry- Ain't got no Negative Stockhausen, though it sounds familiar, has it been issued on cd?
ReplyDeleteAs for computer music, I also don't have much.(That's Grey Calx's area of particular interest, I think ha has a couple of goodies planned). As for me; A very few things, one which I wanted to post Feb 4 (that's a clue) but needs scratch removal. Sorry to have to let you so thoroughly down.
Mr Pc- Thanks for writing- I'm gonna be lookin up yer (ad)dress in a moment; catch ya later, ok?
To anonymous Feb. 8, 2012,
ReplyDeleteI do not have any "Negative Band" either. I'll look for it though. I'll have some computer music up here sometime very soon.
------
Mr. pc,
I'll check out your blog and get back to you.
-----
DrE
I couldn't forget you of course. Great post as usual. Love the cover and back cover and the music too. :)
Hi there. Yes, so very nice to have you back up and running.
ReplyDeleteAnd actually, if you want to post the french liner notes I'd be more than happy to translate them (if it seems worth it).
:-)
I don't know how many times I passed on this LP back in the day [I was not a great 'percussion' fan back then]. But today I have stopped and shall, at last, NOT pass it by. Many thanks for this opportunity.
ReplyDelete-Brian
@lex.ookpik
ReplyDeleteSorry for the delay in responding to your kind offer-
I don't think it's necessary at the moment to have the liner notes translated (it's mostly just the batterie- it'd interest me and anyone interested in percussion instruments, but not many others.
Thank you very much for offering!
Brian. Hope the wait was worth it.
Sorry, but this link is dead.
ReplyDelete