Sunday, August 12, 2012

Environments Disc 9

  

Syntonic Research Inc. - Environments Disc 9

released on LP in 1979

I found the ninth Environments disc some time ago which was the first copy I've ever seen. It has been elusive to me in the field. I often see copies of the first one and disc 4 (the one with the thunderstorm and rain). I believe those two particular discs sold the most of all the Environments LPs. I came across most of the others one to three other times. The only copy of disc 3 I've ever seen is the copy I bought at some flea market about a decade ago. The artwork on the cover of disc 9 is a little different from the previous discs in that it does not have a photo inside a rectangular frame. I imagine the cover would appeal to some while not appealing to others. (I'm still not sure if I like or dislike the cover.) The cover also has quotes, but instead of quotes from ordinary folks as always has been included on back covers of Environments records, the quotes come from a diverse range of publications from the mainstream Newsweek and Life magazines to High Times. I wonder what High Times thought of Life Magazine's opinion.

The photo on the human figure has a child standing on a shore with a clear blue sky above. The water gives a clue to the contents on the record which would be recordings of water. From the titles, one recording is from the Caribbean Sea and the other is from the Pacific Ocean. "Caribbean Lagoon" has gentle lapping water and crooning insects occurring during the night. "Pacific Ocean" has slow powerful waves with some seagulls in the background. There's beautiful sounds throughout both sides though my preference is for "Caribbean Lagoon".



Tracklisting:

Side One

1.  Caribbean Lagoon  {29:41}

Side Two

1.  Pacific Ocean  {29:14}

(1) or (1)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you very much!! Now i only miss number 7 (if 11 is the last one) Muy gracias again en tot ziens..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'll have number 7 added here very soon.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I love these...but now I gotta pee.--Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I didn't think about that when I posted this. Perhaps I'm lucky not to have that problem after hearing sounds of water. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the post! I have a request for number 8 the sailboat one if you got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have number 8 here: http://closetcurios2.blogspot.com/2008/06/environments-disc-8.html

      I used Sharebee when I first posted it. I don't think the Sharebee links are any good. I'll get it reupped sometime in the next few days.

      Delete
    2. I have new links for disc 8. The Sharebee links are gone.

      Delete