Thursday, July 12, 2007

Morton Feldman



Morton Feldman - Morton Feldman

A collection of Feldman composed pieces

From the liner notes (these are quite technical but helpful):

It is therefore not merely of anecdotal interest to document Feldman's
playing and that of his first interpreters, for here it is made clear how
much Feldman's entire oeuvre developed from this approach. He shifted the implicit precedence of artistic realization from a negligible peripheral issue to the center of his focus. From here on, the traditional musical parameters of harmony, form, time, instrumentation and arrangement are stripped of their essential features and in Feldman's playing, are heard again anew. The present recordings, primarily from Feldman's early period, present different solutions to the same problem.


One of the earliest pieces of the series, "Intermission 5" from 1952,
could be regarded as the germ cell for later works. In fact, it is the
opposite of Cage's musical process that Feldman notates here: not
progression, not variation, but the uncovering of something which is at
first hidden by clusters and chord attacks. From an irregular rhythm and density, tone repetitions and ultimately, a figure that recurs 9 times are shed - metaphor of periodic movement within an inner space. The figure itself - comprised of the tones G, G-sharp, A , B-flat in an orchestration characteristic of Feldman, that is, distributed among different octaves - plays with the most extreme reaches of the hands and with the "Fort" and "Da" which creates the basis for the repetition of the self-contained figure, the module.


"Extensions 3" from the same year also reflects this structure. Here, the play of horizontal and vertical symmetries in repetitions and
displacements form the starting point that is not interrupted until the
very end with a gesture encompassing the entire keyboard and all pitches. The octave obtains special significance as an axis of reflection in this performance and therein anticipates Feldman's later technique of "bridge building" between different modules.


In "Piano (Three Hands)", the problem of transition appears to withdraw
completely into the verticality of the sounds and their sequence. The
three "voices" come together in a flexible and unpredictable harmony,
which likewise exhibits unsystematic moments of repetition and
correspondence. The harmony which has disappeared is restored again by the play of position and distance.



"Vertical Thoughts 2 for Violin and Piano" combines a harmonically
conceived texture with an extremely differentiated temporal structure:
freely notated sections, in which the duration of the tone is defined by
the duration of the sound itself, alternate with segments that translate
the inherent tension of the sounds into rhythmic weights. The elastic
temporal structure is a result of the tactile quality of the sound
complexes.


In "Piano Piece 1956 A" and "Piano Piece 1956 B", the sounding tones are surrounded by numerous silently depressed keys which, through the resonances of sympathetically vibrating strings, convey the sound space like a second dimension. Though not sounding themselves, they first define the form of what is to be heard. It is the shadow that first makes light possible. Here too, octaves link tone groups together.
In his Darmstadt lecture "Indeterminacy", Cage defined "Intersection 3"
as an example of an indeterminate music, that is, a music which in
relation to its performance presents indeterminacies. Feldman notated the number of tones to be played on a time grid within the general limits of high, medium and low. The exact placement of the chords within the grid is left up to the performer. Cage's indeterminacy, however, aims more at the abolishment of fixed relations, while Feldman constructs here a sequence of unconnected sonic "weights" - as he himself called them - a oneness of harmony and contact.

Both ensemble pieces, "Four Instruments (1975)" and "Instruments 1",
transfer the experience of the "weight" from the early pieces onto other
instruments: "Four Instruments (1975)" to the reflections between piano and strings whose values articulate time and "Instruments 1", to an almost single-voiced line that is defined by instrumental oscillations.

Tracklisting:

1. Piano (Three Hands) {8:03} [Morton Feldman & John Tilbury - piano]

2. Intermission 5 {3:52} [Morton Feldman - piano]

3. Vertical Thoughts 2 {6:48} [Janos Negyesy - violin; Cornelius Cardew - piano]

4. Extensions 3 {8:05} [Morton Feldman - piano]

5. Four Instruments {8:11} [Edna Mitchell - violin; Harry Zaratzian - viola; Stephen Kates - cello; Frank Glazer - piano]

6. Intermission 5 {2:11} [David Tudor - piano]

7. Piano Piece 1956 A {2:23} [David Tudor - piano]

8. Piano Piece 1956 B {3:06} [David Tudor - piano]

9. Intersection 3 {3:07} [David Tudor - piano]

10. Instruments 1 {24:15} [Eberhard Blum - flute; Nora Post - oboe; Garrett List - trombone; Joseph Kubera - celesta; Jan Williams - percussion]

(1)

12 comments:

  1. Dear Blogger

    thank very much for sharing this one!

    if is possible, more about this very interesting composer, please.

    best regards, Enrique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great collection of Feldman pieces. Anymore from this label Edition RZ? I have a couple, but am really curious about hearing more. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you for all the great music and information here. In this particular case, I'm having trouble dowloading the first part; I keep getting a 404 "Page cannot be displayed" error. There's no trouble with the second part or anything else I've tried here. Is anyone else having difficulty with this? Again, no matter what, many thanks for all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a mistake in the address
    of part 1.
    It's appears like that

    http://http//sharebee.com/e6e5c8e3

    If you will change it to:

    http://sharebee.com/e6e5c8e3

    thare is no problem.

    Thanx on the great share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! It worked perfectly. I very much appreciate your help. And thanks again for all the great music here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enrique,
    Hi. I have a few other Feldman releases, which may show up sometime in the future. There is more Feldman to be found here if you don't already have it:
    http://closetcurios2.blogspot.com/2007/03/coptic-light.html
    Also, check out some of the links on the right under "blogroll". I believe that there is more Feldman to be found especially at Different Waters and Eat My Art Out.

    Kevin,
    Hi. I don't think I have any more Feldman from Edition RZ. I'll check with acquaintances to see if they have any.

    cathcurtis,
    Hi. I fixed the link to part 1. My apologies to you for the bad link.

    anonymous,
    Hi. I appreciate your helping out a fellow visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx a lot for the great share...
    BTW- maybe you have something froMartin matalon?

    Thanx...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, what I meant was to ask about any other composers who have releases on the label. I have a Klaus Lang disc and a Jakob Ullmann disc, both of which are great. Actually I would recommend checking out either of them, and Lang has a few other on various labels, all excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kevin,

    This comment is probably a little late, but I met Klaus Lang in Japan at a zen temple back in 2000. He was at the time working on some composition that involved using kanji (chinese characters) and their strokes and stroke order as some compositional system. at the time it seemed a rather complicated system he was building and I have always wondered if he pulled it off. He stayed at the temple for about two weeks and during that time we had a number of discussions about art, and he gave me one of his cds. The temple only had a cheap cd player, so the first time I heard it, I wasn't particularly impressed, though you have to keep in my while you are training at a zen buddhist place, art is kind of superflulous, if not distracting you from the thing at hand. So anyway I had this CD that I later ripped to flac and have it on my hard drive but at the time I didn't label the tracks. And the cd is no longer in my hands. It is three tracks and the second is a solo cello track, very jerky with lots of silence. If you happen to read this, and are interested in the album, let me know and I will find a way to get it to you.

    B-san

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please, http://www.mediafire.com/?tnyngznnytc is not working...
    May you re-up?
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorite composers. I didn't have any recordings of Feldman playing either. Also great to see David Tudor involved. Thank you for this one (and everything else)!

    ReplyDelete