Monday, July 23, 2007

Variations IV Volume II


John Cage - Variations IV Volume II

John Cage, with assistance by David Tudor gave a 6 hour performance at Feigen-Palmer Gallery in Los Angeles. This performance is Variations IV, an early experiment in audio collage and excerpts from this performance were released on the recording Variations IV. Volume II of Variations IV was released afterwards containing material not on the original Variations IV recording.
Tracklisting:

Side A

1. Introduction {3:56}

2. Variations IV Volume II Part I {15:13}

Side B

1. Variations IV Volume II Part II {14:12}

(1)

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for this....

    Do you happen to have the old John Cage/Christian Wolff LP S/T with 'Cartridge Music' from 1960? I believe it was released on LP three times -- Mainstream MS-5015, Time 58009 and ICA 02.

    I have heard 'Variations II' and wondered how 'Cartridge Music' compares to that wild performance.

    Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, sorry I don't have the Cage/Wolff LP on hand. Maybe someone will stop by and help with your request. I do wish to have this LP though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, and thanks for sharing some really rare recordings. Keep it up.

    I've got a CD copy of the Cage/Wolff LP. The "Cartridge Music" version is interesting, though not as wild as the "Variations". Mostly amplified small sound and feedback, and featuring Tudor's "electric Slinky".

    If you still like to have it, say so, and I'll post it/send it to you.

    Best
    Lothar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lothar,

    Hi. I would like to have it. I appreciate your offering. Looking forward to hearing that "electric slinky".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Astonishing stuff, this. Thanks for posting it?

    Dp you know when it was recorded? I think 1969 maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Grey Calx,
    the Mainstream-5015 is ripped & ready for uploading. Probably tomorrow (Friday). Watch this space for the link.

    Best
    Lothar

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... and here it is:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/46715776/Mainstream_MS-5015.rar.html

    Enjoy.
    Cheers
    Lothar

    ReplyDelete
  8. woodenelephant, to answer your question Variations IV was recorded during August 1965, according to the information on the www.johncage.info site. I was a bit pressed for time (as usual) to not look up any further info, but the recording date should have been in the liner notes anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lothar, much thanks to you. I highly appreciate it. I just finished downloading it and I'll have a listen to it later tonight. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting the Cage/Wollf LP Lothar.

    You might be interested in hearing Iancu Dumitrescu's 13+ minute piece "Pierres Sacrées" (for prepared piano and metallic objects) which is similar to the Cage/Tudor performance of "Variations II".

    http://www.wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=18417&starttime=1:04:49

    A Dumitrescu interview with comments on this piece is here -- http://www.furious.com/perfect/iancu.html

    You also might be interested in Alan Lamb's 'Wind Harp' wire music. Which is almost like one of the above recordings, but in slow-motion, since it's created by nature.

    'Journeys to the Winds of Time' from "Austral Voices"

    http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=16085&archive=22002

    Starts at 1:20:11

    Enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  11. To add to the above comment....

    Here's Alan Lamb's violent "Primal Image"

    http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=20040&archive=29500&drop=2

    and "Beauty" if anyone is interested....

    http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=15280&archive=20527&starttime=0:07:59

    Sorry. I don't know how to use HTML tags! Any help would be appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lothar, if you find your way here, once again thank you. Cartridge Music and the other pieces are great. Would you mind if I post this on the main page? This is too good to be just lingering in the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Grey Calx!
    Please feel free to post it on your main page.

    I may also have some other items that would fit on your page ... if you're interested, please lemme know your email & I'll contact you.

    Best
    Lothar

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is the "original" Variations IV.

    http://closetcurios2.blogspot.com/2009/05/variations-iv.html

    I am kind of surprised that no one asked about this earlier.

    ReplyDelete