Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hans Reichel: Lower Lurum


Hello everyone, Telvin here. Thanks to Grey Calx for the introduction and extending the honour of contributing to this blog. I intend to post some nicely obscure treasures, and where appropriate urge you to support the artist!

For instance, the subject of my first posting, Hans Reichel, is very much still going strong, and has an extensive discography, although this album from 1994 is the only one I own. "Lower Lurum" is mind-blowing, with many unique sounds and textures. Hans builds his own stringed instruments, and also plays his own creation: the daxophone, which is a shaped piece of wood played with a bow, that can sound eeriely vocal. Wikipedia has some extensive information about his talents, which also include typography and web design... check out his totally amazing website at www.daxo.de!

(1)

If you have any problems with the format or delivery, please leave a (polite) comment.

11 comments:

  1. I've been looking all over for Reichel's newest. I'd buy it, but it's import only and far beyond what I'm allowed to spend on things. The new one is Yuxo.

    Even better than Lower Lurum is Shanghaied on Tor Road which is ALL daxophone. It's one of my favorite cd's.

    Yuxo? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Telvin Bartruss - thanks for the Reichel, I can't think of a possible better introduction as your first post here at the excellent Closet of Curiosity blog! --- whew - have to take a breath after so much praising ;] ...

    I don't think Reichel's only-dax releases are superior to his guitar or guitar/dax ones - Reichel's music is unique, despite of what he's playing on. His 70s guitar records on fmp are exceptional recordings - funny and earnest at the same time - same like with his daxophone opera etc.

    thx for sharing, telvin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start, Talvin. We owe Hans Reichel (who's from the same city as Friedrich Engels by the way: Wuppertal) not only the timeless Helvetica font but also the marriage of a singing saw, a cello, and a bunch of crying babies (that's at least what the Daxophone reminds me of...). There's a useful interview (in German) for those who are interested: http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,484882,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, really intriguing. Was worried that it was just gonna be messy, but no. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok....!!! It seems no one else has had a problem downloading this one so I'll try again! Basically there was nothing there when i unstuffed them. Never mind. Thanks for this post, Reichel is underrated, and its hard to get his stuff where i am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see Reichel here. Everyone in the world must experience his very humorous and unique music.
    My favorite of his is a duo with the late cello player Tom Cora, Angel Carver, released on FMP. I lost it in college - so that will be a welcome upload here!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, could you (or someone else here) please repost this? At least the second part, the first one works. I would be grateful Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now it works, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete