Wednesday, April 9, 2008

One Happy Return with Cheap Imitations

After 3 weeks with a bad cold (couldn't even speak because my vocal chords refused to do their work) and no internet access, I'm glad to be here again. Grey Calx has outdone himself in the meantime, posting a whole truckload of interesting material. Bravissimo. So I feel obliged to post something special for my comeback:

 
1-3 Cheap Imitation (1969/77) - version for flute
performed by Eberhard Blum

4 Experiences I for 2 pianos (1945)
performed by Richard Bernas

5-7 Cheap Imitation for 24 instruments (1969/71)
performed by the Ensemble Modern and Paul Zukofsky

John Cage's "Cheap Imitation" is indeed a very pragmatic imitation of Erik Satie's "Socrate".
After writing an arrangement of "Socrate" for two pianos, on the occasion of one of his musical happenings, the Satie publisher rejected Cage's arrangement, making further performances of Cage's version impossible.

Cage then decided to compose an imitation of Satie's piece, keeping the rhythmics of the melody line, and replacing all pitches by new chance-determined pitches. In the following years, two adaptations of the original "Cheap Imitation" for piano were written, one for violin solo and the second for 24-96 instruments.

Both adaptations are presented here, for a most pleasurable listen. These are unreleased productions from German radio studios, recorded during radio broadcast.

"Experiences I" fits in very nicely as a knee-play for the two long pieces. It's from Cage's no-chance "romantic" period and borrows phrases of original Satie, reworking them in a very elegant repetitive way. This version is taken from the LP "Jan Steele/John Cage - Voices and Instruments" (Obscure No.5)


6 comments:

  1. thanks!
    i love the large ensemble version of cheap imitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - I am glad to find that the violin version works for a wind instrument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. H.C. welcome back. Great to know you've recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I don't know what your policy is concerning re-uploads, but if that is something you don't mind doing I'd love to hear the John Cage 'Cheap Imitations' CD- I just discovered your blog today, which I'm very excited to have found.

    Also- I no longer have the Jan Steele/John Cage 'Voices & Instruments' LP which seems near impossible to find. Do you have a copy you might add to the blog at some point?

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve,

    the download link for the "Cheap Imitations" is still working, so please help yourself. As for the Cage/Steele LP, I will sure enough post it here some time later. Side 1 is already tranferred and cleaned (since my copy is rather scratchy sometimes); Side 2 will follow soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. H.C.,

    Thanks for letting me know about the active link- I didn't realize it was a 'hidden' one. Also excited to hear that you'll be posting 'Voices & Instruments' eventually- I know other people who will also be happy to find this again!

    ReplyDelete