Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bell, Drum and Cymbal . . .


Saul Goodman - Bell, Drum and Cymbal . . .

Saul Goodman was a timpanist and head of the percussion section in the New York Philharmonic Orchestra when this percussion demonstration LP was released. He and someone named Leonard Sterling are narrators as they explain the percussion instruments in the two main percussion categories, membranophones (sound is produced when the head is struck, e.g. drums) and idiophones (sound is produced by vibrations throughout the body, e.g. marimbas, bells). Saul demonstrates the sounds of the instruments. Then Saul closes the LP by playing versions of the traditional tune "My Country, Tis of Thee" and Camille Saint-Saens's "Danse Macabre" where Saul plays 14 instruments that were demonstrated on the LP.

The copy I have is an ex-library copy (which explains the due date pocket taped on the cover). I couldn't take off the tape and pocket without doing severe damage to the cover. Speaking of the cover, when I was looking for more information on this LP, I found available pricey used copies. The covers were different as they each had a cover that is a photo of Saul Goodman playing his instrument. I did not come across any copy with the same album cover as the one I have. I have not been able to find out the story behind the different covers I have, but I'm guessing that this copy could be a first pressing and subsequent pressings had a different (perhaps more marketable) cover.

Tracklisting:

Side 1

1. Introduction {4:22}

2. Membranophones {7:04}

3. Idiophones (Part 1) {2:33}

Side 2

1. Idiophones (Part 2) {8:32}

2. Theme and Variations on My Country, Tis of Thee {3:29}

3. Danse Macabre {4:53}

(1)

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I was excited by this blog when I saw this post (found your blog through flageolette). But then I scrolled down and found The Science of Sound. I'm ready to kick my feet up, and call this blog a home away from home. Thanks for the great offerings! - audie

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet as usual... cheers, sound, thanks, great, super, fantastic, love this shit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. any chance to re-up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please re up this cool stuff. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible to get this reupped? The zippy file link is dead.
    Thanks
    Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some information here: Angel Records was EMI UK's original classical label here in the USA. Dario Soria was President of the label then. Angel LP discs then had two forms of issue. The Thrift jacket, cheaper when new which is what you have, then the fancier deluxe jacket versions (usually $1 more list price in the early to around 1957 era) The UK pressings are the most desired of this mono era.

    ReplyDelete