Monday, September 10, 2012
John Cage - Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano (Harmonia Mundi,1980)
Well, the CageCentennial week here in A Closet is officially over.
But- never let it be said that we here can't go above and beyond the call of duty.
Or, more accurately, never let it be said that I, DrEyescope, can't be counted on to be the consummate procrastinator, with more to add now which should have come before.
So, Here you go:
John Cage: Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano. (recorded either 1950 or 1958) Maro Ajemian, Piano
The minimal notes are in French, and I won't torture you all with my half-assed translation.
This is a kind of a strange record.
It's one of those Harmonia Mundi releases with a thin, minimal cover without photos or liner notes (there is an enclosed strip of paper with minimal notes), the idea being (as I recall) that the money would be spent on superior performances and pressing.
This record clocks in at over 64 minutes, which means that the grooves are cramped.
Normally in cases such as this, the cramped grooves give a less defined sound than wider grooves, and this record is no exception- especially towards the end of each side, or when the music gets loud, the record suffers from distortion.
And, on top of that, Maro Ajemian is playing while sitting on a squeaky chair.
But the real problem with this record is that it is incomplete:
The center label lists track 1 on side two as "Sonata No.IX", but it is, in fact, Sonata No.X,
Sonata No.IX is entirely absent. (Either that, or silent.)
Nevertheless, I enjoy this album very much. When it comes to the Sonatas and Interludes, I (who know these works only as a listener and not a performer or reader of scores, and am therefore only partially informed) judge many of these performances to be very nearly "definitive".
There is a rhythmic vigor; a "dancing" quality in these interpretations which I find lacking in some other recordings, and even with the questionable reproduction, one can also hear a sensitivity and subtlety in some of the slower, more meditative pieces which gives them a broader emotional scope than other interpretations.
I plan to compare these interpretations with the (seemingly very dramatic) Steffen Schliermacher disc which was posted the other day by (timely and hard-working) grey calx.
John Cage: Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano (composed 1946-48)
Side One:
a1: Sonata I (3:00)
a2: Sonata II (2:23)
a3: Sonata III (2:43)
a4: Sonata IV (3:04)
a5: Interlude I (3:42)
a6: Sonata V (1:28)
a7: Sonata VI (2:20)
a8: Sonata VII (2:31)
a9: Sonata VIII (2:54)
a10: Interlude II (4:22)
a11: Interlude III (3:04)
Side Two::
B1: Sonata X (3:35)
B2: Sonata XI (3:27)
B3: Sonata XII (4:18)
b4: Interlude IV (2:45)
B5: Sonata XIII (4:03)
B6: Sonata XIV (3:36)
B7: Sonata XV (3:36)
B8: Sonata XVI (5:02)
Maro Ajemian, Piano
(1) or (1)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thanks, dr-eyescope
ReplyDeletei have two recordings of the sonatas + interludes by maro ajemian:
- the complete 1950 recordings issued by cri (#cd 700) and reissued by new world records (still available), and
- the 1958 recordings included in the 25-year retrospective (sonatas I-VIII and 2nd interlude), issued by wergo.
the recording above might be the same as the one from cri/new world, since both are labelled as "premiere recordings".
cheers,
lucky
Hi Lucky! I hope these are, in fact, the 1950 recordings as I wrote.
DeleteLet me know, if you can. I'll try to find out for sure, meanwhile. Nice to hear from you!
Hello good Dr., while we are still on the subject of consummate procrastination (and believe me I know of what we speak), just a friendly reminder that two posts still await repairing and/or reposting: Einem/Blacher/Egk-Split Release (DGG 1962) and Marius Constant- ELOGE DE LA FOLIE (Ballet En Neuf Tableaux) 1966
ReplyDeletehopefully they can still be repaired and/or re-upped, if not please disregard this comment. Thanks!
Anon- Thanks for writing, and for the reminder. I will try to get to these soon. It's just that fixing them is almost as complicated as re-ripping them, on my wretched computer.
DeleteBut they are both important posts, and shouldindeed be fixed.Thanks.
Thanks for the Harmonia Mundi album, Dr. Eyescope. It is indeed licensed from CRI. Excellent discographical information can be found here:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.johncage.info/index1.html
Thanks, anon.
DeleteSo, it turns out that these are indeed the premiere recordings.Thank you for the link!
Am I out of my mind? No matter what I read or see about this album, no mention is made of the missing Sonata No. IX.
It is always there in the track listings.
Have I made a colossal mistake?
I verified it's absence by comparing with the Steffen Schliermacher interpretations.
Is the Schliermacher listed wrong?
There are rhetorical questions, anon, I will listen again to the
two albums with this problem in mind and discover the answer for meself.
Thanks for writing!
the new world records reissue of the cri-album isn't listed in the discography, though - here's a link to the new world page: http://tinyurl.com/96eg8dn
Deletecheers,
lucky