Sunday, September 2, 2012
Updates about Past Posts Featuring Cage
John Cage has been featured in several posts in this blog. The posts have been about recordings devoted only to Cage's compositions, compilations that include Cage or performers' recordings that include one or a few more works by Cage. Since we are focusing on Cage this week, we encourage you to explore these past posts if you have not already done so. Some of the past posts include:
John Cage - Cheap Imitation
John Cage - Empty Words Part IV
John Cage - Variations II/Eight Whiskus/Music for Two/Ryoanji
John Cage - Complete Piano Music Vol. 1: The Prepared Piano 1940-1952
John Cage - Litany for the Whale
Amadinda Percussion Group - Works by Varese, Chavez, Cage and Harrison
includes a few of Cage's pieces including "Amores", "Double Music" [collaboration with Lou Harrison] and an excellent performance of "4'33""
Stefan Hussong and Mike Svoboda - Anarchic Harmonies -- Frescobaldi Cage
some tracks are some of Cage's "Forty-Four Harmonies"
John Cage and Lejaren Hiller/Ben Johnston - split release
side one of the LP is Cage and Hiller's "HPSCHD"
various artists compilation - New Electronic Music from Leaders of the Avant Garde
side one of the LP is Cage's "Variations II" performed by David Tudor
The posts above have been re-upped recently.
Some other additional past Cage posts include:
John Cage - Imaginary Landscapes
John Cage/Christian Wolff - split release
side A is Cage's "Cartridge Music" performed by Cage and David Tudor
John Cage - Variations IV
John Cage - Variations IV Volume II
Harry Partch and John Cage - Music of Harry Partch and John Cage
various artists compilation - Concert Percussion for Orchestra
There are also more posts featuring Cage's works. Not every post including his name as a label has been re-upped yet. We're trying to work on it.
What we have posted so far is only a very small portion of recordings featuring Cage's works. There are many more out there and we encourage to explore those too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Another one on another blog :
ReplyDeletehttp://subculturia.blogspot.fr/2012/09/john-cage-in-norway.html
Thanks for the tip.
DeleteThis is terrific. Thank you all so much!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome.
DeleteThanks for all the great re-ups grey calx.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure I missed a few first time around, and a second chance is most welcome!
Great work in general on this event, may I also say.
Super Duper, Man!
(btw,I like your new avatar.
What is the bird, and what is it doing,exactly?)
You're welcome, DrE. I hope you get all of them. Thanks for your help on this event. I'm not sure if I could've pulled it off without your contributions and input.
DeleteThe bird is part of a sculpture called "Pour des dents d'un blanc eclatant et saines" by Jeroen Diepenmaat. The bird is playing a record with its beak instead of a turntable's needle.
newmusicbox.org published major "Cage=100" posts every day this week. On Thursday, they posted the memorial radio tribute I produced five days after John's death — hard to believe it's 20 years already! — gathering our mutual friends William Anastasi, Earle Brown, Don Gillespie, R.I.P. Hayman, Pauline Oliveros, Mark Swed, Margaret Leng Tan, David Tudor, and Christian Wolff. I wrote a short essay to introduce it. The broadcast can be streamed here: http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/cage-100-walking-along-paths-the-outcome-of-which-i-didnt-know/
ReplyDeleteThank you for the notice about the posts at newmusicbox and for your work in the "walking along" post! Cheers!
DeleteSorry for the tardy reply.(missed it!)