Friday, December 21, 2007

Addendum: GENTLE FIRE

BRITISH ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC MUSIC FROM THE 70s


Last week, while scanning the Blogosphere from the East, the West, the South, and the North, I came across this likkle blog:

http://protectingterrorists.blogspot.com/

I was stunned - not only does this blog offer interesting and un-mainstreamy musical rarities - no, it also features visual material and textpieces, rather informative & written with wit, about various phenomena & topics: society, politics, science, whatever. In short: a blog made to bookmark.
While looking around, I discovered a post from September 07 which presented a very rare recording from the British electroacoustic ensemble Gentle Fire (I posted their only released studio LP, along with some unreleased group compositions some time ago here on the Closet - please check the archives for details).
What I found on this blog was a very rare & unreleased LIVE-RECORDING of Gentle Fire's "GROUP COMPOSITION IV (Glastonbury Fair)" from 1971/72. With more than 60 minutes of WARPED sounds from Gentle Fire's electric gong tree, mixed with traditional instruments - filtered and tweaked through VCS-3 synthesizers and a self-designed array of electronics, this piece guarantees a DEEP DIVE into the unique ELECTRIFIED soundworld that was Gentle Fire:

http://protectingterrorists.blogspot.com/2007/09/gentle-fire-group-composition-iv-1972.html

The download also includes a very info-heavy & detailled article on Gentle Fire, written by founder-member Hugh Davies, who sadly passed away some time ago - much too early.

Go & get it now.

6 comments:

  1. thanks for directing me to this recording, and for glass orchestra toronto/frankfurt 1980. i enjoyed it immensely.

    i've also noticed a recent spike in traffic at my site, 'bird with broken wings.' thank you for adding me to list of favorites. i appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up...PT is a great blog, new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears the PT blog has been deleted along with this link for the Gentle Fire recording.

    Might you be able to reupload it?

    Thank you very much.

    I'm enjuying your blog immensely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,i #d rearly love to hear this piece and it would be nice to upload the file,since the original blog ist dead and gone!
    Your blog is treasure box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh.


    got here too late.


    where do blogs go when they die?

    ReplyDelete