"All extraneous perception suppressed, animal, human, divine, selfperception maintains in being. Search of non-being in flight from extraneous perception breaking down in inescability of self-perception. "
(text for "Elemental Procedures": Introduction to "Film", 1964, by Samuel Beckett)
Morton Feldman:
1 Principal Sound (1980) for organ
2 Words and Music (1987), radio play
for two speakers, two flutes, vibraphone, piano, violin, viola, cello
(Less Words Edit)
script by Samuel Beckett
3 Elemental Procedures (1976) for soprano, chorus and orchestra
There are two recordings released of this piece, one of Feldman's last completed compositions. The first one features the spoken text in English and is impossible to get - and I never had the chance to hear it. The second release is rather easy to get. The Ensemble Recherche does a good interpretation of the music. Problem is, tough - this production sucks. And it sucks big time.
Instead of delivering their texts in manners befitting Beckett's words and Feldman's music, the two speakers - stage actors of profession - intone and dramatize like it's the end of the world and they wanna show one last time how uber-dramatic and outburstingly expressive they can do their stuff. Before entering hell. Where they belong for this. Along with the vocal director and producers of this record.
Finding this recording unlistenable, I decided to make my own edit of the record, cutting out the speaker-only segments. And lo, behold! It worked. For me, at least. Judge for yourself. The few remaining kagel-lish vocal snippets (didn't want to leave any of the music out) seem a little irritating for a Feldman, okay. But hearing this rather short piece with its greater number of different patterns and pacings from 1987 is almost like discovering a new side of Feldman, after the large-scale reductionist patterning of works like "Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello" (from the same year). I hope you'll like it.
"Elemental Procedures""... I was given a commission by the Köln Radio, and he thought I fit in fine - it was called the New Simplicity, twenty-five years, thirty years later, there was finally the New Simplicity, and of course my music and Steve Reich, and Phil Glass and the minimal music from Europe. So here he told me the title of the thing, and I got this nice commission, where I could bring in my own soloists, which I did and chorus and orchestra, and write a piece for the New Simplicity. But for some particular reason, that was, being that it was the seventies, and so mid-Seventies, and being that the mid-seventies was, as far as I could see a very - where middle age composers, painters and everybody became very competitive, and very worried, and I was no exception, and for whatever reason, not that I thought I was gonna knock 'em out in Europe, but I found out that the new simplicity was developing into the new complexity. And I wrote, for me, an unusually complex piece. And I was very embarrassed actually the fact that it was on that festival called the New Simplicity ..."
Morton Feldman Lecture, April 17th 1982, Mercer Union Gallery, Toronto, Canada
"Principal Sound"
This exciting piece has a rather strong alienating effect on the listener. Nothing less than "Feldman in Space". And not just on the Moon or Mars, but another Galaxy altogether, with cube-shaped planets and strange creatures that look like organ pipes. Abstract organisms.
Compilation and cover by H.C. Earwicker
(1)
I agree that these "Words" are unlistenable in this version.
ReplyDeleteHave you had a chance to hear the NPR Version?
It was done in association with Morty and I believe there is even an interview:http://www.evergreenreview.com/evergreenreview_shop/c_words_music.htm
Also thanks so much for Three Voices...
Would you happen to have the Henck version of Triadic Memories and the Cage Melodies and Harmonies both on Edition Michael Frauenlob Bauer?
Dear Lightthreads,
ReplyDeleteI never heard the NPR version of "Words and Music".
Unfortunately, the Henck version of "Triadic Memories" was never released. Seems that any chance of hearing that one has vanished with Mr. Bauer.
And yes, I got the Melodies and Harmonies, as well as the "First Meeting of the Satie Society". More posts for 2008. Good.
I have a cd of 'words and music' on Montaigne(ensemble recherche,omar ebrahim,stephen lind),it is a WDR production but the text is in english.Is this the difficult to obtain or a english sub version of the german copy you have posted?
ReplyDeleteIt's a particular favourite of KingKennytone who i believe you're familiar with.If this is the required
english existant,a distribution can be made available.
Dear Anonymous!
ReplyDeleteMy edit was made with the Montaigne version. I've got this one since ages, and I listened to the complete CD only once because of the awful vocals, so my mind probably suppressed the fact that it's in English. My fault.
But I'd very much like to hear the Evergreen version. BTW, in Germany, "Evergreen" is another word for "Oldie"...
Thanks for a wonderful 2007 guys, and thanks for this Monty post.
ReplyDeleteThanks Adam Eleven. We'll try to make 2008 just a lickle more wonderful. Especially for Monty-Verstehers ;-)
ReplyDeleteP.S.: Is there any interest in the Hat recording of "Why Patterns?" ??
much interest in the hat recording of why patterns? the one packaged with rothko chapel is lacking.
ReplyDeleteDear Hortense,
ReplyDeleteI hope I understood you right. You'd like to have the "Why Patterns?" from New Albion? Then your wish is my command. It'll be my next post here on "CoC".
Re-up man!!
ReplyDeleteIt's re-upped. Enjoy.
Delete