
Monolake - Gobi The Desert EP
Robert Henke and Gerhard Behles's ambient piece is evocative of the place that is the name of this recording. The listener is immersed in what could be a recreation of the environment of the Gobi Desert during dusk and night time with crickets, cicadas and other insects chirping. Or are those just clicking electronic sounds that sound like insects? Other computer generated sounds and electronic drone patterns are mixed in with the insect sounds.
Tracklisting:
1. Gobi {36:52}
hi
ReplyDeletei am writing a piece for the Wire on music blogs and i wondered if i could do an email interview with Grey Calx or somebody else at Closet, what with the music taste here being very compatible with The Wire world, and consistently interesting and excellent.
questions would be fairly basic stuff to do with motivations and rewards, the amount of time and effort involved, etc etc and personal anonymity would be preserved.
best regards
simon reynolds
simonreynolds@mindspring.com
Simon, just a comment from a listener point of vue... if you attract the attention on this blog through your article, maybe some pressions would make it to be closed. and then all the people who love the music presented here will loose an incredible source of diversity. this kind of blog is like a public library : open place for culture diffusion. so...
ReplyDeleteHi Simon,
ReplyDeleteI consider it a compliment that someone of your standing has asked me to do an interview for an article in The Wire. I appreciate your kind words about this blog.
However, my contributors and I do not believe that it is in our best interest at the present time to do an interview in a highly read publication like The Wire or any other publication as a matter of fact. I would like to respectfully ask if you please not mention this blog (or any of our other blogs) in your article. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
With that said, I do look forward to reading your upcoming article.
Best regards,
grey calx
fair enough!
ReplyDeletekeep on keeping on
Guys... ever thought of changing names for the purpose of the interview? Shouldn't that prove enough?
ReplyDeleteAnd yes - keep on keeping on! I have a blog on music myself (sadly i write it for local people so it's in polish) and i do find Closet to be a source of both inspiration and great music to repost. Thank You very much.
thanks again for the gobi
ReplyDeleteand yes changing names seems a good idea asblgging should be more accepted
Congrats Grey Calx on your altogether deserved interview... this blog is one of the few I link to (I'm at irritainment2000@blogspot.com); your taste and your reviews are both superb. Throw the word 'epistemology' into the interview for 'extra laffs.'
ReplyDeletekeep on keeping on
ReplyDeleteThank you, simon.
------------------------------
zly_dotyk,
I've thought of changing names, but I believe the interview was about this particular blog for his article about music blogs. Thanks for the nice words.
dhyan,
ReplyDeleteI agree that this type of blogging should be accepted. We can hope that it will be more widely accepted someday.
re Monolake - Gobi: You're welcome.
--------------------------------
smilin tyler,
Thank you, but we're not taking part in the interview. Maybe I can throw in "epistemology" in a future post.
I've linked your blog back. Great and interesting music there. I like the style of the text in your posts too.
Are the guys at The Wire really interested in glass harmonica, bird singing and pygmy chanting? I don't know what will become of Closet of Curiosity, now! Your blog is so good that it's overexposed and you might soon have Google ads popping here and there ;) (just kidding). As a fellow blogger, I'm very proud you refused the interview.
ReplyDeleteContinuo,
ReplyDeletemaybe we oughta bnd together with a bunch of other bloggers, get some financial backing, and start our own magazine, "The Uberwire", or something like that ;-)
Okay, just joking. Our reaction is just a logic consequence, having seen too much interesting blogs close down after they got too much publicity. All it needs is the attention of one dimwit psycho who keeps killing your posts just for fun.
I'm sure Simon meant well, but our kind of blogging is a subculture threatened by outdated jurisdiction and unnecessary do-gooders, so we'd better keep it as it is: hush-hush.
re-post please...
ReplyDeleteFile link(s) expired.
ReplyDelete