Treibstoff (1995)for flute, clarinet, violin, viola, cello, double-bass, piano & percussion
Klarinettentrio (1993) for clarinet, cello & piano
Luftwurzeln (1993) for flute, clarinet, viola & cello
mehr oder weniger (1991)
for flute, oboe, clarinet, violin, viola, cello, double-bass, piano & percussion
Streichtrio (1994) for violin, viola & cello
Zopf (1992) for flute, oboe & clarinet
Sottovoce (1988) for 2 cellos
Schraubdichtung (1989/90)
for voice, contrabassoon, cello & percussion
Thürmchen Ensemble, with members of the Ensemble Recherche

Carola Baukholt (* 1959) studied with Mauricio Kagel at the Academy of Music in Cologne from 1978 to 1984, received many grants and scholarships since then and represented Germany at the World Music Days in Copenhagen (1996) and Seoul (1997).
The close collaboration with the musicians of the Thürmchen Ensemble (since 1991 she's a member of the group) has given Carola Bauckholt the opportunity to explore and extend the (often unusual) instrumental techniques that are essential for her compositions.A good deal of the basic sound material in Carola Baukholt's works is directly inspired by sonic events from the everyday world. Through extremely careful orchestration of rhythmic patterns, tonal structures and Klangfarben, she develops unique musical dramaturgies based on change and transformation of the musical material.
In her most characteristic compositions, like "Treibstoff" (fuel) and "Schraubdichtung" (screw gasket) nets of musical references and dependencies are woven, exploring the grey areas between noises and tones. With an ear for the most minute detail Bauckholt creates a multifaceted spaciousness in which she lets her sound material freely evolve, equally evoking Feldman's notion of "sound undisturbed" and reminding of Musique Concrète soundscapes.
(1)
Great share. I got this CD from my local public library and was particularly attracted by the black-felt-note-written-on-blank-cover-artwork - it really looked like someone had written his/her assessment ("klingt gut" = "sounds good") on the cover in an unobserved moment.
ReplyDeletehi
ReplyDeleteI dl some of your cds, and i'd like to thank you for your musical choices. I don't like everything but i came across really nice stuff !
I am going to download this, because you made me curious! The stuff on this blog is really outstanding. Have you ever considered to post in lossless quality (FLAC or APE+CUE+LOG)?
ReplyDeleteHave you ever considered to post in lossless quality (FLAC or APE+CUE+LOG)?
ReplyDeleteI don't know what Earwicker thinks about this, but I've thought of doing that. I don't do it right now is because the size is too large. It takes a lot of time just to get 320 kbps rips uploaded. It would take me forever just to post a recording like this at a lossless format. So it's mainly a matter of convenience for myself. Maybe posting in a lossy format would also serve as an incentive for people to purchase the recordings (if they're available) if they like them.
To be honest, I do hope that a new format will be available with the quality of a lossless format with only a lot fewer megabytes.
BTW, thanks for this Bauckholt record, Earwicker. Sounds like another winner. I'm sure that Kagel was proud.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments, Anonymouses, Nemo & Grey.
ReplyDeleteAs the pieces from "klingt gut." are all from the 90s, I'd really like to hear some new music from Bauckholt. But there are so many composers out there - it's hard to keep track over the years...
About going lossless: I absolutely agree with Grey. I've posted one of my mixes over at http://hushcautionecholand.blogspot.com/
in APE format so far and been thinking about going completely lossless there (in FLAC), but I'm still not sure.
Truly a beauty. Had not heard Bauckholt before, a nice new acquaintance indeed. Thanks!
ReplyDeletere-post please...
ReplyDeleteIt's reposted.
Delete