Saturday, September 20, 2008

Heterophonie Improvisation Ajoutee

Mauricio Kagel - Heterophonie/Improvisation Ajoutee

Mauricio Kagel passed away on September 18, 2008. We are saddened by this news.

Obituary

Tribute

Performers:

Heterophonie
for orchestra (1959/61)

Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt

Improvisation ajoutee

Gerd Zacher - organ
Juan Allende-Blin and Yngve Jan Trede - registration [they manipulate the sound and color of the music]


Tracklisting:

1. Heterophonie: I {8:05}

2. Heterophonie: II {7:41}

3. Heterophonie: III {5:21}

4. Heterophonie: IV {4:52}

5. Heterophonie: V {8:07}

6. Improvisation Ajoutee {15:19}

(1) or (1)


Plus, more Kagel in the archives.

12 comments:

  1. thanx a lot for this link and music.but maybe you have the version of "Improvisation Ajoutee",
    with gordon mumma and david tudor?
    I'm searching for it for years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this. its constantly surprising how a death makes you reconsider how much one should have been listening to certain artists.

    he will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a tragic loss!

    I hope for many Kagel posts to hail his memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an astonishing piece of music with which I was entirely unfamiliar. There were so many breathtaking episodes in this slow, sometimes solemn processional--or, better yet, unfolding--of sonorities. To think other masterpieces like "Pli Selon Pli" were being premiered at the same time. Although this work is so much more austere than Boulez's, both strike me as equally beautiful. Thank you for this discovery.

    I used to have a tape of the premiere of "Pli Selon Pli" that is so much better a performance than Boulez's subsequent three recordings (each progressively more sterile, in my opinion). Given Gielen's sensitive, nuanced and, when appropriate, passsionate conducting of the Kagel, I wish he would record the Boulez so this generation would know the ecstasy I felt listening to the first performance of that masterpeice. Kagel, too, triggers gooseflesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm agree with John Cage, the best composer in whole Europe was from Argentina.

    The only way to honor the memory of a composer is listening their work, and spreading their legacy.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate all of the comments here which are informative and insightful.

    To the first commenter (anonymous):

    Sorry, I don't have the Improvisation Ajoutee version with Mumma and Tudor.
    If anyone has this version, that would be most welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. link doesnt work ..........

    ReplyDelete
  8. would love to have heterophony, part of my compositional research, though the link has expired...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. The link works, but leads to "Earle Brown - Contemporary Music", instead of Kagel.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know. Sorry about that. I'll try to have the correct link back up as soon as possible.

      Delete