* no image available *
various artists compilation - Musical Atlas: Cambodia
I apologize to my visitors for having no picture of the album cover. My batteries on my camera died so I wasn't able to take a picture of the cover before I had to return the album to an acquaintance. I was unable to locate a picture of the album cover on the Internet. I thought of placing some other picture in its place, but it wouldn't seem right to do so.
This LP is in the UNESCO Musical Atlas series and covers folk and ceremonial music of Cambodia. Here's a little background derived from the liner notes:
Cambodia has been the cradle of one of the most vigorous civilizations of South-East Asia. During its golden age in the 11th and 12th centuries this civilization brought forth the architectural wonders embodied in the monuments of Angkor and a highly developed musical and choreographic activity, distant echoes of which have come down to our time. We can no longer admire the orchestras of several hundred musicians presented by the princes to the Brahmans or the king, or the thousands of female dancers engaged by Jayavarman VII, the illustrious builder of Bayon, to perform at ceremonies in the great temples. Nevertheless, several distinctive musical forms have survived, and their great originality has influenced the music of neighbouring countries such as Thailand and Laos, which, depending on the vicissitudes of history, were sometimes subject to the Khmer Empire, as well as Burma and Malaysia.
Cambodian music can be divided into two main categories: the orchestras consisting mainly of stringed and wind instruments, and the orchestras of melodic percussion instruments such as keyed metellophones, sets of gongs, xylophones and other percussion instruments. This record presents several aspects of both categories.
Tracklisting:
Side I
1. The Orchestra of Pêang Lovea - Bât Phleng Khlong {5:40}
2. The Orchestra of Pêang Lovea - Bât Ham Rong {5:03}
3. Srey-Yim - Bât Khlong-Saray Andet {6:49}
4. Srey-Yim - Bât Sampong {2:30}
5. Tuk-Môn - Roeung Moyolvong {6:34}
Side II
1. Tuk-Môn - Entertainment Music for the Chapey {4:00}
2. The Musicians of Siem Reap - Khlang Khêk {5:40}
3. The Artists of the Ta-Phul Village Troupe (Siem Reap) - Nang Sbek Thom-The "Sampeah Kru" Ceremony {4:10}
4. The Artists of the Shaow-Theatre Troupe of the Village of Ta-Phul (Siem Reap) - Nang Sbek Thom-Episode from the Ramayana {4:35}
5. The Musicians of the "Pinpeat" Orchestra of Siem Reap - Krao Nay {7:44}
(1) or (1)
You can get a small cover from the re-release of this on CD (with extra tracks):
ReplyDeletehttp://tinyurl.com/2go7uf
Thanks for pointing me to the cover although the CD cover is different from the LP cover if I remember correctly. I didn't know this got released on CD, though it was a long time ago. Pity that there's no more copies as I would like to hear the extra tracks.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot - haven't heard it yet, but I never came across a disappointing album in this UNESCO series.
ReplyDeleteGreat album & great sounds, thanks a million
ReplyDeletere-up please...
ReplyDelete