
I'm going to go on hiatus for probably the next two weeks. This will be my last post for a while. I have matters to attend to in real life. Unlike the last time I went on hiatus last year, I promise to try to be sure it's actually two weeks instead of three months this time. I'm sure my cohorts H.C. and Telvin will have something delightful for you while I'm away. Meanwhile, enjoy this Sunday post.
Syntonic Research, Inc. - Environments Disc 8
Unfortunately, I won't have the pleasure of going on a sailboat on the high seas during my time away from here. The closest that I'll get to that experience is through this record. The folks at Syntonic Research, Inc. say that this particular disc is the first one to present a "moving" environmental sound ("Wood-Masted Sailboat"). It's almost like a simulation where the room that the listener is present in would feel that the room has been transformed into a deck of a sailboat out on the water where it's bobbing up and down. Fortunately, Dramamine is not needed when listening to the record, I don't think.
"Country Stream" may be my personal favorite environmental sounds recording. The sound of the flowing water is well recorded and arouses tranquility of course along with there being bird songs and insect hums in the background. This truly is a beautiful recording and is nice to feel that I'm lying beside a stream away from the city, but actually I'm in my air-conditioned room lying on my bed. There are these devices that has sounds of flowing water, rain, wind, etc. where a button is pushed to play the chosen sound. Sometime two years ago, I've seen these being available for purchase at The Sharper Image (which by the way the company recently filed for bankruptcy, then went out of business). I've tried this device, but the sounds don't quite do it for me. These Environments records are far superior in sound quality (provided the records are in VG+ or better condition) and in providing a better listening experience. "Country Stream" beats any gadget and just about any other recording with flowing water, IMO.
Tracklisting:
SIDE ONE
1. Wood-Masted Sailboat {29:41}
SIDE TWO
1. Country Stream {29:38}
(1) or (1)
Very nice, this was part of my long gone LP collection many years ago and I am happy to be to lay back and enjoy voyages on the high seas from the comfort of my easy chair again. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteMay I invite you to visit my new blog
ReplyDeletehttp://kammermusikkammer.blogspot.com/
dedicated to old, classical and contemporary western music.
Special interests are chamber music, vocals and piano?
freejazzcat, glad I can get you back on the high seas.
ReplyDeletenemo, yes, I shall accept your invitation. Have fun with your blog.
Hi Grey,
ReplyDeleteHad some of the environment LP's as well, cool to find these on another blog you're running :)