
This one is for Zhao of the Different Waters blog. It's a rather unique affair among Sun Ra's endless list of releases: fusion-inspired and with colorful, stunning arrangement details, it features two electric guitars, heavenly glockenspiels, spacy keyboards, electronic effects and -above all - some of the greatest basslines and riffs that ever graced an album from our favorite traveller of the Spaceways.
The song of a sweet wailing oboe duet, underscored with lovely electric piano twinkling, makes for a good spaced out opening, introducing a strange relaxedness that stays with us for the whole record.The big-bandish "Where Pathways Meet" with its catchy brass theme sounds like an outtake from David Shire's "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" soundtrack - gripping, funky, but still with an alien feel.
The first bars of "Twin Stars Of Thence" were sampled by U.N.K.L.E. (James Lavelle & Tim Goldsworthy) for their 1994 double EP "The Time Has Come" from MoWax, a seminal piece of British Trip Hop. Maybe Sun Ra intended the polyrhythmic backing of two delayed guitar licks to illustrate the pulsations of a twin star system, contrasting it with melancholic lines from a slightly de-tuned oboe. The effect is quite outlandish. Later on, there's a fantastic baritone sax solo - this could very well be the background music for a nightclub scene from "Shaft in Space", if there was such a movie.
The record closes with a cosmic lullaby: "There Are Other Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)", a very slow, dreamy melody sung by a drowsy chorus of hypnotic voices, roamimg freely through an intergalactic vortex of echoes and phasings, before it drifts into the infinite realm of Outer-Nothingness. Wooosh...
"Advanced Lounge Music" I'd call this. All in all - and not to forget the brilliant multi-facet percussion arrangements with softly pounding timpani throughout - it's a must-listen, so download it now.
Inside the sleeve, a return postcard
1 Lanquidity
2 Where Pathways Meet
3 That's How I Feel
4 Twin Stars Of Thence
5 There Are Other Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)
2 Where Pathways Meet
3 That's How I Feel
4 Twin Stars Of Thence
5 There Are Other Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)
Sun Ra - organ, piano, electric piano, ARP synthesizer, Mini Moog, Crumar electronic keyboard, orchestra bells, Ethnic Voice
Richard Williams - bass
James Jacson - bassoon, flute, oboe, Ethnic Voice
Elo Omoe - bass clarinet, flute
Artaukatune - congas, timpani
Dale Williams, Disco Kid - guitars
Luqman Ali , Michael Anderson - percussion
Marshall Allen - alto sax, oboe, flute
Julian Presley - baritone sax
Danny Thompson - baritone sax, flute
John Gilmore - tenor sax
Eddie Gale - trumpet
Michael Ray - trumpet, flugelhorn
Edde Tahmahs & June Tyson - Ethnic Voices
produced by Sun Ra
Richard Williams - bass
James Jacson - bassoon, flute, oboe, Ethnic Voice
Elo Omoe - bass clarinet, flute
Artaukatune - congas, timpani
Dale Williams, Disco Kid - guitars
Luqman Ali , Michael Anderson - percussion
Marshall Allen - alto sax, oboe, flute
Julian Presley - baritone sax
Danny Thompson - baritone sax, flute
John Gilmore - tenor sax
Eddie Gale - trumpet
Michael Ray - trumpet, flugelhorn
Edde Tahmahs & June Tyson - Ethnic Voices
produced by Sun Ra
Lossless FLAC: (1) (2) (3)
(cleaned up a bunch of nasty scratches on the vinyl, too)
[maybe reposted soon]
[maybe reposted soon]
nice! I look forward to finding this in 320 mp3, though: It is a lot of trouble for me to handle FLAC.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
If you want anymore RA let me know I have 20 or so I can upload they will be in mp3 format and I don't know the kps , I just upload to media fire . I can leave some links in comment section
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for posting this! My CD reissue was stolen. In fact over half my CDs were stolen. Part of the agenda of vampirism that is practiced against my life and always has been.
ReplyDeletenice! I look forward to finding this in 320 mp3, though: It is a lot of trouble for me to handle FLAC.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
I have the ImTOO MP3 WAV Converter program. I use this to convert FLAC files into 320 kbps MP3 files. You can download the program for free (with limitations of course) at their site:
http://www.imtoo.com/mp3-wav-converter.html
Be sure to choose the Lame MP3 Encoder and adjust the settings to 320 kbps and disable the VBR before converting.
Jazzme, I don't think you can have enough of Ra. Your offerings are much welcome here.
ReplyDelete-------------------------------
litlgrey, I feel your pain. Some jerk stole some of my CDs from my car several years ago.
Available in mp3 here
ReplyDeletehttp://funkjazzforever.blogspot.com/2008/05/sun-ra-lanquidity-1978.html
Great blog!!!
ReplyDeleteI have a rare blog too jeje
From Valparaiso Chile
www.neanderjazz.blogspot.com
Phenomenal album, thank you.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. So nice. Thanx.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteHello, grey calx, If this FLAC is eventually reuploaded,
ReplyDeleteyou'd have got a very grateful folk in me. I'd be visiting.
Thanks for all this loving work.
Hello, deodac. I think I lost the FLAC rips. I've tried to find them and I am not having any luck. I only could find the 320 kbps mp3 rips of this. H.C. Earwicker, who originally uploaded this, is so busy right now, I have trouble getting in touch with him.
ReplyDeleteWould 320 mp3 be okay?
Well Helooo, grey calx:
ReplyDeleteThanks for answering.
I too have an old Mp3 rip of this vynil, in V1,
so no, the Mp3's 320 are too much close
to what already have, that's why I was hoping
to listen to a lossless 'pro' rip of this LP.
I'm not in a hurry though,
so if this friend of yours, H.C. Earwicker,
is busy right now, it does not matter,
perhaps he'll be more free in the near future...
My only hope is not to forget
to check on news on this one,
if there would be any at all.
Thanks for your caring,
it is indeed, much appreciated.
Still no news about this lossless rip I guess. I'll keep on visiting. Thank you grey_calx.
ReplyDelete