Monday, October 20, 2008

Earth's Magnetic Field


Charles Dodge - Earth's Magnetic Field

"Earth's Magnetic Field" is a computer-generated musical piece using the recorded observations of the Earth's magnetic field from 1961. It is made up entirely of electronic sounds. The observations were programmed into a computer by using a sound synthesis program. These observations are the notes of the piece.

Tracklisting:

Side One

1. Earth's Magnetic Field {13:50}

Side Two

1. Earth's Magnetic Field [continued] {15:00}

8 comments:

  1. I may have forgot to include the liner notes in the file.
    Here they are in a separate file:

    http://www.filedropper.com/cdemfnotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you - bought this and another couple of Nonesuch recordings [including Cage's HPSCHD] back in the early 70s, good to finally have a digital copy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this is just getting weird. You are posting my record collection from 30-40 years ago. From time to time I recognize an album or two, but now you've posted 3 in a row.

    I still have them in my basement. At least I think I do. Maybe you've snuck in and stolen the entire lot! ;)

    - k (who also has Cage's HPSCHD mentioned above)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! an example for "bartel's musical diagram" (see liner notes) can btw be found here:
    http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~rhennin/kp_music.html

    the approach reminds me a bit of my student time when we converted geophysical time series into "music" using quickbasic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh ooh ooh. Not heard this in twenty years. Good post. -- Stefan M— @ friendsound.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are pretty much, kinda, really, the MAN.... jeeeeeez!

    I bow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I'd never hear this amazing record again! Thank you so much for sharing. I have bookmarked your site and will be returning often.

    ReplyDelete