Vadya Lahari - Vadya Lahari
Performers:
A. Kanyakumari - violin
Mannargudi A. Easwaran - mrdangam (drum)
Kumari N. Vijayalakshmi - vina (string instrument)
Mambalam K.S. Siva - nadaswaram (reed instrument)
Yarpanam K. Ganesa Pillai - tavil (drum)
From the liner notes:
Vadya Lahari ("Waves of Music") is a highly creative and energetic recording of traditional Karnatic music of South India. The pieces combine delicate and bold sounds in a way that is rarely ever done. In that sense, this recording is unique and unparalleled. The periods of interplay between the various instruments are displays of great virtuosity, and will captivate both the connoisseur and the casual listener alike.
The ensemble performing on this recording is the most recent innovation by the violinist A. Kanyakumari, and represents an experiment within the deep tradition of Karnatic music that could only have taken place in the modern age. She has spanned a dynamic gulf by juxtaposing the delicate, introspective sound of the vina with the ecstatic roar of the nadaswaram. To the Indian mind it is nearly impossible to conceive the two instruments playing together (it's a bit like scoring the orchestra parts in a lute concerto for brass band - and the sound engineer deserves a medal for his performance). The result, as you will hear on this recording, is joyous, powerful and exciting music.
In order to appreciate fully the boldness of this experiment one must imagine a world without electricity. In such a world the vina, and even the violin produce such soft sounds that any percussive accompaniment would be likely to intrude, except in the hands of an extremely sensitive drummer. On the other hand, the nadaswaram and tavil are played in temples at festive occasions, or in processions and celebrations. They are played outdoors, often while walking, and their sound is meant to penetrate every corner of the neighborhood. In Vadya Lahari, we hear not only vina and nadaswaram together, but, occasionally, solo vina or violin accompanied by tavil, an arresting situation, to put it mildly.
This is not Kanyakumari's first musical experiment; she once played a twenty-nine hour non-stop recital, and the exploratory quality of her mind will no doubt lead her into many other fascinating pursuits. She has assembled an ensemble of extremely sensitive and open-minded musicians in Vadya Lahari, all of whom have solid reputations within Karnatic music. The listener is likely to experience all South Indian music with fresh ears after hearing this lively recording.
Tracklisting:
1. Kriti: Gan Ganapate {6:14}
2. Kriti: Chintadirchara {4:35}
3. Tarangam: Sharambhava {9:27}
4. Kriti: Chandrasekharam {3:52}
5. Tillana: Gi Ta Dhu Ni Ki {3:29}
6. Kriti: Rama Katha Sudharasa {24:14}
7. Bhajan: Ragupati Raghava Rajaram {3:19}
Here is something for you in return for all the great posts . This Indian music is a great post from the sample listen I just gave . I would like to leave you this and also for others my cd enjoy -------------This is my cd I have told you about here's the hot poop (a Zappa phrase ) on it ......... This was recorded on Oct 31 / 2001 at radio station called CHRW @ the University Of Western Ontario Canada . The show it was recorded on is just for the folk , I was a very regular guest on that show with my vast knowledge of folk and early country (blues) music . Sometimes instead of bringing a old 78 player and stacks of old counrty and folk records , I would bring a guitar my voice and my banjo and play these old treasures with the history of the music . John Gardi at the time of this was doing the show and that is him you hear with me . There is alot of banter in between songs because it is a radio show and well , we talked . This was taped by chance as one of us had a cassette and this cd happened two years later I came across it , forgetting about it all together until this time . Took the tape to a friends store cleaned it up and released it in 2004 sometime . Since then it has been played on radio stations in Europe , Detroit , Chicaco & KROC in LA . I have also sold hundreds to people world wide some in half decent quantity . The cover unfortunately I do not have a scanner is not available but the whole package I designed and is intended to be reminiscent of a early field recording . All tracks are me and only me with guitar and banjo enjoy . Steve links http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=00bb25726436bb1eab1eab3e9fa335ca8d2f9cbf
ReplyDeletejazzme, hello. I went to the link that you put in the end of your comment and the page says that there are 0 items. I thought I would let you know as I am interested in checking it out.
ReplyDeleteI stumbled onto your blog and its pretty amazing. Thanks! I've had this record for a while myself.. definitely one of my favorite examples of music in the Karnatic tradition of Indian Classical Music.
ReplyDeletedear friend
ReplyDeletethanks for all your effort.
yours sincerely
alfred venison
Thanks, but another dead link here.
ReplyDelete