Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Exotic Sounds of Bali


Gamelan GongSekar Anjar and Gendèr Wajang - The Exotic Sounds of Bali

* originally posted on December 7, 2006

Write-up by muse1453:
"The Exotic Sounds of Bali" is a terrific record from the pile of records that I bought at the library sale back in September. It prominently features the Balinese gamelan music that I assume is the most familiar form of Indonesian music with people outside of Indonesia. At the moment, I don't have much time to write more, but no doubt the liner notes that are included in the file will be helpful.

Tracklisting:

Side 1

1. Baris-Bapan {2:32}

2. Sekar Sungsang {3:43}

3. Tabuh Teluh {7:22}

4. Rébong {4:32}

5. Légong {4:53}

Side 2

1. Lagu Délem {1:32}

2. Selir {3:19}

3. Pemungkah {3:23}

4. Gendèran-Kebyar-Pandji Semeran {14:18}

(1)

2 comments:

  1. thanks for re-posting this. gamelan recordings always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this sometime around 1968 after our drama teacher at high school played it in class. I guess it was my introduction to World Music. I have picked up a few more Balinese Gamelan albums since, but this is my benchmark recording. My turntable died a few years ago so it will be wonderful to hear this again. Many thanks!

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete