
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Telemusik/Mixtur
TELEMUSIK was composed between January and April, 1966, in the studio for electronic music of the Japanese Radio Nippon Hoso Kyokai, Tokyo. During my first 8 or 9 days in Tokyo I could not sleep: one vision came again and again, a vision of sounds, new technical processes, formal relationship, pictures of notation, human relationships - all at once and in a network too tangled up to be unraveled in one logical process. In all this I wanted to come closer to the realisation of an old dream: to take a step further in the direction of composing not "my" music, but a music of the whole world, of all countries and all races. I am certain you will hear them in TELEMUSIK, these mysterious visitors: from the Imperial Japanese court (the Gagaku Players), from the happy isle of Bali, from the southern Sahara, from a Spanish village fiesta, from Hungary, from the Shipibos of the Amazon, from the Omizutori ceremony in Nara, in which I participated for three days and nights, from China - fantastic virtuosity! - from the Kohyasan temple, from the Vietnamese highlands, about whom I read gruesome and distorted news every morning in an American-Japanese newspaper in the hotel, and again from Vietnam, and more fascination from Vietnam (what a wonderful people!), from the Buddhist Jakushiji temple, from the Noh drama "Ho Sho Riu", and who knows from where else. They all wanted to participate in TELEMUSIK, sometimes superimposed and interpenetrating each other. I had my hands full in keeping the unknown world of electronically produced sounds open to these guests - I do not know how I did it, I was moonstruck, but I believe I succeeded in composing this TELEMUSIK.
In MIXTUR [version for small orchestra] (composed 1964, premiere in the North German Radio NDR, Hamburg, November 9, 1965), the sounds of a woodwind group, of a brass group and two string groups - one of which plays predominantly pizzicato - are picked up by microphones; the 4 microphone groups lead to 4 mixers, where sound technicians balance the individual microphones as well as regulate the sum of each group.The output of each mixer goes to a ring modulator. According to instructions of the score 4 other musicians "play" sine-wave generators, whose outputs modulate the instrumental sounds in the 4 ring modulators. The results of this modulation are diffused over 4 loudspeaker groups, hence mixed in with the unmodulated orchestral sound: each instrumental sound thus results in a "mixture" sound.
A fifth orchestral group consists of 3 percussionists, each with a cymbal and a tamtam; these are picked up by contact microphones and amplified over 3 separate loudspeakers.
As a result, highly differentiated composition in timbres, as previously possible only in the field of electronic music, is possible here with orchestral instruments also. (Karlheinz Stockhausen)
Tracklisting:
Seite 1
1. Telemusik {17:11}
Seite 2
1. Mixtur {26:16}
I posted Telemusik some time ago on this blog. This recording is from the LP in its 17 minute entirety. It's not chopped up in separate minute-long tracks like it is on the CD version. I prefer the LP recording as I think that the CD version is annoying as it is too choppy with the separate tracks.
ReplyDeleteYou dun good!
ReplyDeleteOnce again I'm with lilgrey. THANK YOU! I have been looking for this for the longest time.
ReplyDelete--David Prescott
have you discovered iTunes Advanced > Join CD Tracks feature? It lets you rip multiple tracks as a single mp3 and is very useful for those pesky Stockhausen CDs, though I actually like the way each of the 33 tracks names every sample source and Telemusik in particular makes for great ringtones
ReplyDeleteI'm not familiar with the CD edition, but if fades had been unnaturally engineered, that isn't going to help very much.
ReplyDeleteAnyone could tell me where to get a link of KURZWELLE ? Thanks. And let me not forget to thank A Closet Of Curiosities !
ReplyDeleteJ.
Completely outstanding! The DG version IS the best.
ReplyDeleteHope all DG Avant Garde series will show up.
I recall the old Kagel vinyls I had once.
Great rip. Many thanks!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete>I'm not familiar with the CD
ReplyDelete>edition, but if fades had been
>unnaturally engineered, that isn't
>going to help very much.
I own the CD edition and Stockhausen didn't add any new fades, he was just prone to over-indexing his CDs, very mp3-hostile.
I'd never heard the 1968 vinyl edition -- the tape of Telemusik is identical, but very different mastering job, the midrange seems louder. The 1995 CD mastering is still probably my favorite, lack of vinyl noise helps & digital actually helps with the relentless high-end. I listen to Telemusik probably more than any other Stockhausen so the more listening options the better, this is wonderful to have
The DG 'Mixtur' is the same performance as the Retrograde Version (tracks 1-20 of the Stockhausen Verlag CD).
This was the first Stockhausen LP I got into (borrowed from a library) at age 15 or thereabouts, so I have a real soft spot for it. Stupidly I never bought it, though I got a few other KS DG vinyls and, like a lot of people I guess, have a now almost worn out Telemusik excerpt on KS Greatest Hits.
ReplyDeleteThe KS CD series is great, but the track divisions are a bit of pain & some of the combinations are odd. On the CD Telemusik is with the very hardcore process/improv thing Microphonie & the theatrical Microphonie II. But it goes much better with Mixtur - 2 real classics side by side. On the other hand on the Mixtur cd you get backwards and forwards. I'm interested in the comment that the mixes sound different on the CDs - that was my impression. Anyway, yes any DG avant garde especially KS is welcome. HJ
having a hard time downloading this. when i click the rapidshare download link, it opens another download window. can anyone help?
ReplyDeleteI did get that as well, but I was allowed to continue in the first Rapidshare window... so I don't know what to tell you.
ReplyDeleteHello grey calx! I just discovered your site last night and grabbed a few things. An absolutely amazing blog! It's taken me weeks to find a site dedicated to basically the same musics I listen to. In fact going through your archives was like going through my own LP collection; the hours saved not having to transfer my vinyl to my computer. Many, many thanks for your hard work, your solid info on your postings and your great taste in music.
ReplyDelete-Brian
re-up / re-post please...
ReplyDeleteIt's now reupped.
ReplyDelete